Differences between subframe connectors

NasaGT said:
As Hoppy described, the tubular gives you better torsional strength. But some tubular subframes are not jackable. That was what swayed me to the rectangular MMs. Space is tight under there, I wanted to be able to use them as jack locations.

Good luck!

this is why I recomended the global west. they are tubular and jackable. I have not purchased them yet but they seemed to be the way to go on paper to me.

• Sponsors (?)

Hoppy Posted
Go tubular, as they offer all the support of the rectangular one but offer additional torsional rigidity (what shape stock do roll bars/cages come in?).

This is true. But here is where I believe the GW kit falls short. The mounting points on the GW sub-frame connectors to the chassis of the car looks to be only 4 inches long. I have at least a good 6 inches on each side (12 Inches of weld on each end of the sub-frame connector) where my sub frames connector contact the chassis.

And the thing about connecting the seat to the sub-frame connector? Do you really want to do that? Think about it. God forbid for some reason the sub-frame connector is ripped off while driving the car. You want your seat tied to that. And if you feel you are going to be driving that fast that the seats might rip through the floor boards for what ever reasons that might cause that to happen, then it is time to get a roll bar installed were the seat mounting points are tied into the roll bar because you are driving to fast not to have one.

Rob

Seat Braces -

I also have a 1985 Mustang GT, it seems the Fox bodied Mustangs had a big problem with the floor pan tearing due to the lack of bracing on the rear mounts of the front seats, hence the braces on some brands of SFCs.

Do the SN-95 bodied Mustangs have the same problem?

Mark

85MustGT said:
Seat Braces -

I also have a 1985 Mustang GT, it seems the Fox bodied Mustangs had a big problem with the floor pan tearing due to the lack of bracing on the rear mounts of the front seats, hence the braces on some brands of SFCs.

Do the SN-95 bodied Mustangs have the same problem?

Mark

From what I have learned and seen on other peoples cars, no. I understand why they came out with the seat brace on sub-sub frame connectors. But IMO it's a bandaid. The two reasons why these floor pans are tearing are

1) To much power

2) Beating the snot out of the car

Both will cause to floor pans to flex and start to tear.

Rob

85MustGT said:
... it seems the Fox bodied Mustangs had a big problem with the floor pan tearing due to the lack of bracing on the rear mounts of the front seats...

The floor pan can also tear out if you run too much nawz. You'd be lucky if you don't blow the welds on the intake manifold too. Just make sure you don't granny shift and that you double clutch like you should and your floor pans will be fine.

I have never heard or the floor pans ripping out. thats a new one on me. but as for the length I have heard that the full length are the best and thats what I plan to get. I had regular length kenny browns on my 00 gt and it was one of the most noticable mods I did. they are next on my list.

FastRedPonyCar said:
The floor pan can also tear out if you run too much nawz. You'd be lucky if you don't blow the welds on the intake manifold too. Just make sure you don't granny shift and that you double clutch like you should and your floor pans will be fine.

:rlaugh:

Double clutching hasn't been necessary since the advent of synchronized transmissions...roughly 40 years ago. :lol:

hey, if I did't already have the sfc's that i've got now, i'd definately have bought the cross brace sfc's from evolution motorsports. $275 sounds steep but you get a free driveshaft safety loop out of it as well as knowing that the frame connectors allow clearance for a side exhaust. Also, judging from the quality of the radiator closure brace, the quality of their products is outstanding and the customer service is out of this world.

http://www.evolutionmsport.com/evm-Product-xfw.html

XFW-400x250.jpg