Differences between v6 and v8

reldapimp

Jul 12, 2005
Besides the obvious engine/rearend differences.. What are the differences between the v6's and the v8's..

Mustangs here in NYC go for around 1500-2500 v6's in pretty decent condition..

For a custom mustang buildup wouldnt it be better to start with one of those instead of a 4-7k v8 mustang?

Im talking full engine buildup/transmission/suspension/paint...

• Sponsors (?)

Actually, I think Saleen started with V6 cars, didn't they? If you're gonna swap all that stuff out anyway, may as well buy a car that has less expensive parts to throw away. I think v6 cars even came with less sound deadener and stuff like that.

You might even find a nice 3.8 car with blown head gaskets. (A real problem on that motor.) Get it really cheap, that way.

Go for it!

That might be my plan seeing as i have a GT wrecked. But got damn....i do NOT feel like swapping all this **** over. Thats gonna be a bitch. Motor, trans, and rear. It'd be like building the car from the bottom up! :bang:

I own a 94 V6 and a 95 GT, and I've torn most of each car apart at one time or another. I'm also swapping a 95 Cobra engine into my V6, so I'm pretty sure I know most of the differences. Of course, if I miss anything or get it wrong let me know.

The 94-95 model years shared a lot of common parts between the V6, GT and Cobra. Beyond what's stated below, most everything is shared between the V6 and GT.

The obvious different parts are, as already stated: engine, tranny, rear axle. The computer and exhaust are different. The driveshaft is the same, actually. Also different are the instrument cluster and the seats; the 95 Cobra R had the V6 seats. GT's had fog lights, but the V6 is wired for them. If you swap the fog lights with brackets, the fog light switch and a part in the engine fuse box (I forget it's name right now), you have working fog lights on a V6. Rear bumper is different (V6 and Cobra say MUSTANG). Badging on the fenders is different (duh).

I believe most of the engine bay is different between the V6 and the GT. The radiator and A/C condenser are the same, but the A/C lines are different. Smog equipment is also different.

The k-member and almost the entire suspension is shared between the V6 and GT. I presume the GT has stiffer springs up front for the extra weight, rather than having progressive-rate springs like most of the aftermarket replacements. You also have the quad shocks on the rear axle on the GT.

Brakes are identical between the V6 and GT. However, they have a different hard brake line running from the front passenger's side all the way to the rear. The V6's line mounts on the right side (where the GT's right exhaust pipe would be), the GT mounts in the center. The connector that joins this hard line to the flexible hose leading to the axle is different. The hard lines on the axle are different.

All the interior and exterior body panels exchange between the V6 and GT, with the exception of the rear bumper. The V6 did not normally come with a spoiler, though I believe it was a dealer option.

The dashboard assemblies are identical, including the wiring. The plug near your right leg is for the V6's OBDII system, and is useless for the GT and Cobra.

I can't think of anything else. If I haven't listed it, it's probably shared between the V6 and GT.

Perfect and thanks everyone.. There are acouple more questions but I will post them after I do some more research..

It really does not make sense to start with a v8 mustang here in NYC when they all cost about 4,000++.. There are atleast 20 mustangs within 15miles of me all around $2000 that are in decent condition.. Doesnt make since to start with the more expensive v8 when everything is going to be redone swapped out.

The problem you will run into is all the little brackets and wiring harnesses that you can only get in a V8. You'll end up spending a lot of money and a lot of time tracking all that stuff down. On top of that, you'll spend many hours doing the swap in the first place. If you haven't worked on a Mustang before you'll likely find the job to be horrobly frustrating. IMO, it's just not worth that hassle.

I picked up a 94 thats in perfect condition for $730.. The owner just got a new car and didnt need it anymore..

94 Dark Green
v6 91k miles
automatic
clean interior..
body in great condition..

For $750 and with me having a suspended license right now.. I think it makes a perfect project stang.. Cant drive anyway for acouple more months.

My First mod = Haynes Mustang Manual from Autozone $20. :)