Dissapointed in the new Stang

Hey i haven't posted here in a long time, but im back:

I just got home from checking out the new Mustangs... And i have to say, im a little bit dissapointed. Maybe its because I went in, expecting the car of my dreams, but either way, i wasn't too pleased with the mustangs... Dont get me wrong, i love the exterior but its the little things that count.

In person, the fog lights look tacky and well, huge. The "shaker" sound system, sounds nice, but takes away from an already too tiny trunk... and the subs are mounted to the left of the trunk in a tiny little box. The tires, too small, the exhaust already rusting sitting on the showroom floor, 0km's on the cars odometers. Under the hood, it looked like a monkey just through everything in there. The visible valve covers look ridiculously cheap. Im not big on covers everything like cadillac and ferrari's have... but the engine bay really does look hidious. The struts, are about 3/4's of the way into the engine bay and they're tiny and ugly. The washer fluid is a big jug, for lack of better terms, in front of the engine. It really does look like they just built an engine and threw it in there. When i look into an engine bay i want to see something unique, and when i see that engine bay i can say "Oh its a 3.0 SHO, or "Thats a viper GTS" not: looks like umm... i dunno a crown vic maybe? Like i said, im not big on making it look pretty, but it really does look bad. Whatever happened to the engine bays with the mustang encrusted intake plenum, and the ford valve covers??? I mean, the hood has 2 little mustangs printed into the soundproofing but that makes it look even more tacky.

And the best little tidbit... At least half the writing in the engine bay is in Japanese?!? What is this, a Celica?? My friend was with me, who owns a Celica GTS and thats the first thing he said... "That looks like my engine bay, and i have a celica..." The salesperson replies with "It's really comfy".

So, i decided to try the interior. Amazing shifter, i'll give it that. Guages are nice, until the novelty of them wears off. seats are fairly comfortable, but overall it just felt cheap. The whole car felt cheap. And trust me, i know about cheap interiors, im still driving my Z34.

As far as speed and handling, i dont know yet, they aren't letting people test drive them. Theres only one being test driven, and they have to do a full credit check before hand... (its a $32,000cdn car... i test drove a $250,000 Mercedes SL500 by putting my Z34 up as collateral... like really) Once i test drive it, im sure it will rekindle my love for it, and it will likely be in my driveway. However the salesperson could only say "I've driven it and its fast" i asked him what he drove, and he replied with a Focus ZX5... Im wondering if it will feel "fast" compared to say... an 86 vette (i'd hope so, my car smoked it) or even a 95 6spd transam (which for the record, is much more comfortable... for the driver)

I went and checked some other new cars at the dealerships... The new corvette that took the most heat for being a domestic NSX, is stunning. I've never sat in, or been in the presence of a nicer car in my life, wow.

I have to say, after going to the ford dealership nearly positive that i would be purchasing a new Mustang. I found myself at the Chrysler dealership getting a Magnum RT quoted... of all things.

• Sponsors (?)

Although I cannot comment on your impression of the looks of the engine and whatever else is under the hood (I'm not well-versed in such things and really don't care much) I think you have to step back and consider what you're looking at and for whom the car is being built for. The Mustang was never the be-all-end-all of "sports" cars and if you try comparing the engineering, design, and fit and finish of a $25K Mustang to a $100k Mercedes (or whatever) you're likely bound to be dissapointed and think it looks "cheap". As I've always told friends and acquaintances, the Mustang has been and likely always will be the sports car for the masses...nice looking, reasonably well built, fun to drive, and affordable. I just ordered mine (V-6, Redfire, interior upgrade, yaddah-yaddah, blah-blah) the other day and the next 3-4 months of waiting is going to be tough!

So I don't get it....after you whine about the Stang you say your going to buy one? Maybe deep inside you know the Stang kills everything else for the price (base 25,000 gt).....oh and I hope you do end up buying the magnum so when I blow by you I can ask what happend? what do you have in that thing(commercial) ;p

Seems like a lot of nit picking to me. Who gives a **** what the motor looks like, it's a Mustang and it's a V8, does it really matter how big the wiper fluid resevoir is :shrug: For crissakes it makes 300 hp and is the fastest production GT made to date. It really just sounds like the car is not for you. The math is simple with the new Stang GT and many others preceeding...bang for the buck, 2dr, rwd, V8 (300 hp) for <25k.

Which dealership did you go to, in Regina? I went to Percival last week. I told them I was interested in buying a 05GT, but not unitl april at the earliest. I told them, however, that I wanted a test drive before there was snow on the ground, so I could order by february.

They said, that it wasn't a problem. However, I would have to wait until the 2nd shipment of cars came in, and there wouldn't be a credit check, or anything like that.

Don't like the fogs? Remove them. Don't like the Shaker setup? Don't option it. Don't like the layout under the hood? Are you going to be wrenching or just looking at it? Don't like the car? Don't buy it.

PlatinumDevil -

Interesting review- As a previous owner of a Mustang, I was anxiously awaiting the new Mustang- And I was pleasantly surprised that they were able to stick so closely concept car design.
I first checked this car out in August, and was impressed.
I really like the looks of the car, and the 3valve was promissing.
However, just because it has a V8 doesn't justfiy lapses. Ford saved money all over this puppy, no matter how die-hard of a fan you are, you can't deny that fact.
On the other hand, the 3-valve motor performs better than expected, as does the revised solid rear end, and finally a tranny !!!

I do agree with you about the engine compartment, seats, and various other pieces of the interior.
The interior layout is really awesome. They picked the best interior designer around. The actualy materials are questionable, as is the case in other Ford products.
It would be nice if they brought the Cobra upmarket a bit in this respect.
As far as I'm concerned they haven't put good seats in a Mustang since the SVO, so nothing new here. I'd probably replace the seats anyway, if I had the cash.

In regards to the engine compartment, I'm really surprised that Ford hasn't yet come up with a better organization strategy. There are wires and the like running everywhere, just like Nissan and Toyota. They don't need to over engineer it, just make it a bit cleaner.
In reallity you might say, this doesn't really matter when you are driving the car, and you would be right. It's just they could have done it better, if for nothing else, for ease of modification and or service.

All that being said, lowering springs with Fiske 5-spokes make this perhaps one of the coolest looking Mustangs ever. And moving forward it will be interesting to see where Ford goes with the niche versions.

I dont think you went to your deaslership to see and possibly testdrive your dream car... You went there hoping you would find things to complain about,,, and when you didnt find anything to bitch about, you started to LOOK for negative stuff,, which is more than90% made up by you..and the other 10% dont even matter
Anytime I have opened my 05's hood. people who see it drool over it,,, the trunk size is by far the largest on a Mustang,,and I have even seen the model with 1000 and sub in the trunk, and still pretty good size left over , specially for being a Mustang,,,

However if you want to by a Mustang and you base your decision on Trunk space, youre lookin at the wrong car!! Also, how come you didnt compare the trunk space of 05 Mustang with the TransAm you were braggin about?

2005 Mustang is a powerful car and looks great inside and out!! specially for the price you pay for it!! And also keep in mind that the reason most dealers dont wanna let people testdrive them is because they know thwt only 1% of all of those who wanted to testdrive would be serious drivers, most would just wanna test drive it just to tell friends that they testdrove one....
Im sure by the time we see 3rd and 4th batches of the Mustang's hit the dealership, they will loosen up more and let anyone testdrive it!!

Last but not least,,, if you belive in all that you say about the Mustang ,yet you are still thinkin about buying one, then there's something wrong with the way you purchase cars! I usually try to find things that I DO LIKE about a car before I make a decision about buyin it, not the other way around!!!

Peace ...

I think thats one of the crappiest reviews i have ever seen. If you go to a Kia dealership looking for that good old A/B car are you gonna start analyzing minor things like the interior is cheap. If you go to look at a Mustang you are looking for affordable performance, not some artsy done up engine bay, thats what the aftermarket is for. Why did you even bother reviewing it if you didn't drive it. Thats basically the same crap people say about the 04 GTO, you can't say anything till you drive it, it gives you a much different experience. I really think your stuck so much on minor things that you want a reason not to like it so you don't buy it.

I finally test drove one today. It reminded me of driving my buddies 69 Mach 1 with a 428 CJ. Thats the car that got me hooked into Mustangs. When my 05 shows up that will be #12 stang for me.

Funny thing was, when I returned to the car lot two seperate cars followed us in. They wanted to see the Stang. Both were driving Chevys....

Hey! Beautiful retro-styling and 0-60 in less than 5.0 seconds for $25K, it's hard to find much to truly complain about. Granted the engine compartment could use some work (I did like the intake cover on the prototypes), but for those that care about that sort of thing (I do, by the way), there should be plenty from which to choose from the aftermarket vendors.

Therein lies the beauty of the Mustang in all its iterations (Yes, even the much maligned Mustang II): With the enormous aftermarket parts available for it, a factory Mustang is a canvas for the owner to build his own personal creation. Think about it: For those of us who really enjoy our Mustangs, how many of them are 100% stock?

Disagree - with most of it

Fit and finish - well above the previous Mustangs and comparable to the C5 vette. I should know I have one.

Interior - seats are really good and comfortable. IMHO

Engine bay - I was a bit disappointed at the valve covers. But then I thought, what the hell just another Mod. (finned valve covers with a charging pony. I'm sure someone will make them).

PlatinumDevil said:
I mean, the hood has 2 little mustangs printed into the soundproofing but that makes it look even more tacky.

You're grasping at straws on this one Bud.

If it didn't have sound-proofing you would be complaining about that. If there weren't any logos you'd be complaining about that too.

You just were complaining that the engine bay is not unique, well, as of right now NO other car on this planet uses the 4.6L, 3V, V8 AND no other car has sound-proofing with Mustang logos.

Sounds like your are trying to find any excuse you can to not buy a 2005 Mustang.

Good luck with your Magnum.