Distributor ?'s.

badazz68stang

Mar 28, 2006
i have a 68 289 and it has the dual diaprhagm dizzy and the three-port switch above the thermostat housing. I am wanting to get rid of all this cuz for one, i just dont like it, two i think the dizzy is junk, and three it clutters it up with all the vacuum lines runnin. Im wonderin if i should just get one of those cheap HEI's off ebay (55 bucks) or go for a used stock replacement. anybody have one that will fit a 289/302? Also in getting rid of the old dual diaph. dizzy i should be able to switch out the thermostat housing for a regular one right?

• Sponsors (?)

you can get pretty much any dizzy you want, all the major companies make one, MSD, Mallroy, Accel, Pertronix or even just a stock replacement from the local parts store. you don't have to get the one specified for the 289, a 302 dizzy is the same. definitely get rid of the dual advance and IF possible you can ditch the PVS as well, however be aware that to get rid of the PVS you need a carb that has a ported vacuum port, most 4100 ford carbs don't have one and some holleys don't either, so be careful there. if you have the right carb you can ditch the PVS and get a different thermostat housing as well. most of the replacement therm housings have a port for the PVS and just have a plug in the box to plug the hole. the chrome therm housings don't have a spot for the PVS but they all leak like hell, so avoid those if possible. you can order a stock style therm housing from most of the Mustang parts places that doesn't have the provision for the PVS but it's for the early 289 and uses a different bypass than your 68, although you have to change the bypass hose this is the route i'd recommend. if you really like the look of the chrome therm. housing you can always polish the early 289 unit i mentioned since it is made of aluminum.

personally, i like the duraspark unit, if you arent worried about the stock look... it out performs any stock dizzy out there, and parts are as close as your nearest parts store.i went with the duraspark dizzy, motorcraft module, and msd tfi coil... the only part not factory ford was the coil. (45.00 from summit)

bnickel, when you say PVS your meaning what? so you think all the chrome therm housings leak and i should stay away from those? id be perfectly fine with just finding an old stock dizzy that simply just works. I have an autolite 4100 and a edelbrock performer series so which carb would work with which dizzy?

badazz68stang said:
bnickel, when you say PVS your meaning what? so you think all the chrome therm housings leak and i should stay away from those? id be perfectly fine with just finding an old stock dizzy that simply just works. I have an autolite 4100 and a edelbrock performer series so which carb would work with which dizzy?

PVS=ported vacuum switch

like i said the 4100 won't work without the PVS since it does not have a ported vacuum connection, it has a connection that most people mistake for ported vacuum but it's full manifold vacuum not ported. use the e'brock carb with whatever dizzy you decide to use. one thing i would definitely recommend is going with some type of electronic ignition. if you use a stock dizzy install a pertronix ignitor, mallory unilite, accell breakerless conversion (same as the unilite just repackaged and cheaper, they are both owned br Mr gasket), crane XR-i conversion or something along those lines. i'm running the mallory unilite conversion and have been since the early 90's and i haven't any major problems. i popped the module a few times early on but it was an installation error and all my fault. i'd also recommend an MSD blaster coil as well. the unilite ignition and blaster coil makes an awesome ignition upgrade from stock.

chromedog said:
personally, i like the duraspark unit, if you arent worried about the stock look... it out performs any stock dizzy out there, and parts are as close as your nearest parts store.i went with the duraspark dizzy, motorcraft module, and msd tfi coil... the only part not factory ford was the coil. (45.00 from summit)

Huh, my Duraspark looks stock, unless you mean the electronic box that hooks to it. I used a GM HEI module, '85('84?) Mustang GT disributor(Durspark and steel geared), and a stock coil. It was a PITA getting a steel gear Duraspark since carbureted roller engines were a one-year thing......and mostly that Blottozone is run by idiots. :rolleyes:

More food for thought: You can replace the dual diaphram pod with a new single (available at your local parts house) The dual pod is an advance/retard unit, not dual advance, the front port is advance, the rear retards. I second the chrome T-stat leakers. You could try roughing up the gasket side to help avoid leaks. I prefer to just polish the factory aluminum ones though. These are also available new at your local parts house. I use the PVS port on them for a second temp sender or an electric fan switch sender.