Do I need any of these wires for my conversion?

orangecapri

Dec 16, 2002
Alden, KS
Im converting an 86 notch v6 to 5.0 with a carb. Ive already gotten rid of most of the wiring, the computer and vacuum lines. However, Ive got a few wires left that I dont know if I need or not. Do I need any of the wires coming from the firewall on the passenger side? Ive gotten rid of all the wires that plugged into the old engine because I know I didnt need those. I still have the wires that go to the tfi coil because I know this is what I need to splice into to get my msd 6al working with my msd dist. All that wiring wraps around from the drivers side though as does the headlight wiring for the pass. side. I only have a couple wires left that I dont know what to do with. Heres a couple of pics.
346857_131_full.jpg

346857_132_full.jpg

346857_133_full.jpg

346857_134_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Just cut-em out if you find a need for a wire just install a new wire no biggy right? There are only wires there for all the stuff that came on it from the factory to work, if your going for functionality, clean up the engine bay & cut them bad boys off.

Bill

lol, well, Ive found out that their all for the ecc. So I dont need any of them. Now I just need to find out where the disconnect from under the dash. Do I have to take the blower motor box out? Ive already got the computer disconnected and everything.

Pull that oval rubber gromit out and remove that entire section of harness. It all goes to the computer. You will need to disconnect it from the ECU in the kickpanel 1st and the snake that big connector through the hole in the firewall. There are probably a couple of smaller connectors that connect the engine harness to the dash harness that will be in the same spot. Just disconnect them. I think they will be green and grey but dont hold me to that. All the wires you will need for a carbed motor will be on the driver side. All you NEED are the alternator wires and the one wire that is hot when you turn on the ign, that one will trigger your MSD box but its main power will need to be straight to the battery.

Who ever said painless. Painless kits suck balls. Everybody praises them. Ive seen them first hand they are junk an have poor fitment being to short and what not.