Do I need the brake dust shields??

cbsdd

Dec 8, 2009
Hemet, CA
I was getting ready to do my brakes, new rotors& pads and hubs and I noticed that I don't have the shields on the front spindles. Do I really need them? I don't drive on any dirt or gravels roads so I'm not too worried about rocks hitting the rotors. I called two dealers and LRS and they don't make the shield anymore you'd have to get them at a junkyard. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe yours are different than the 99-04 but I just bought new shields for mine at the dealer. To answer your question....they are not required IMHO but I like having the protection just in case.

you could always replace them with these
100_0359Small.jpg

I took mine off, coated them with POR-15, and re-riveted them. Now that they are good and black they are not noticeable. IMHO too much risk of damage to run the car without them, especially if you drive on gravel roads at all.

They are for water...not dust. Basically they keep water off the rotor from the opposite tire splashing it up. It does make a difference as wet brakes sometimes have a delay when soaking wet.

You can use 04 shields on the earlier cars. 96-04 should be no mods, while 94-95 require minor trimming of the tie rod area