do throttle body spacers, actually HELP at ALL?

staticc

Founding Member
Sep 28, 2002
Jupiter, FL
i keep reading ads in summit and jegs etc etc etc of new kinds claiming increased power throughout the whole band etc.

i dont see how it could help THAT much. but hey. has anyone seen a dyno before/after? or installed one and seen a difference?

you never know. little stupid things always make the biggest differences, so i thought id ask.

• Sponsors (?)

BlackFox5.0 said:
If it's one of those things where it twists the air, like the tornado, forget it.... the only thing a spacer would be good for is more torque....spend your money elsewhere

yep thats the ad i just read on summitracing.com... 'twists the air into a tornado something or other'.. i was thinking itd just **** up flow if anything.

Blandnuts said:
Technically, it does help to twist the air but not on our cars. Most chevys it'll work because the throttle body is right over the lower intake.

I agree, with vehicles with the throttle body right on top facing down like on trucks such as the GM 4.3, and the Dodge 318/360 or some older makes, but on our cars the spinning air is just going to hit the square ports and stop.

If those things were so effective for increasing fuel milege and HP, they would have come stock.

I dont see how it would work on TPI or even TBI Chevies. After the air starts twisting, it still changes direction at least 3 times before its in the cylinder. It seems to me that all those turns would iron out any beneficial twist the air might get. Its just a gimmick.

I use an egr eliminator spacer. When i changed i noticed no difference in tourque or hp. At any rpm. Its all BS. With or without the spacer the car will make power. How much difference could 1 inch make.

In contrast to that, I have a 1 inch spacer on top of a 3/8 spacer with my gt-40 intake and that made a difference in touque. Throttle response went up a little also.

65ShelbyClone said:
I dont see how it would work on TPI or even TBI Chevies. After the air starts twisting, it still changes direction at least 3 times before its in the cylinder. It seems to me that all those turns would iron out any beneficial twist the air might get. Its just a gimmick.

There was a test with the "tornado" on a chevy 4.3 and there was an increase in power. Once again the air goes right into the throttle body, then into the intake runners, then past the valve into the combustion chamber (pretty straight shot). I'm lazy and I'm not gonna look it up so I guess you have to take my word for it or do the search yourself. :p

fred

the whole Idea i think the jegs and summit add were talking about for the spacer is to keep the upper intake cooler by spacing (1 IN. spacer) it away from the lower intake. cooler upper intake cooler air flow. truthfully I'm with ya on spending your money elsewhere than this or spinning spacers.