does it get any easier

today i went to go change spark plugs and started on the right side of the engine removed the air and i got to change all 4 plugs so go over to the left and i relize that it looks like i am going to gave to remove the air intake and maybe the altenator is there any way to remove with out taking all that stuff off

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I had to use a swivel and a 6-inch extension on my girlfriends '96 Ranger. I also put a piece of vacuum tubing on the end of the plugs when i started them into the hole, as it is VERY easy to cross-thread them on the intake side. Other than that, piece of cake.

blastit116 said:
today i went to go change spark plugs and started on the right side of the engine removed the air and i got to change all 4 plugs so go over to the left and i relize that it looks like i am going to gave to remove the air intake and maybe the altenator is there any way to remove with out taking all that stuff off

thanks

I feel your pain :( I just did the exhaust and about to do the intakes my self, maybe that valcumm tube idea will help out some with my swivel and 6"ext. Tomorrow I will go down and get a pice and maybe a pair of wire boot pliars , my hands are to big to get a good grip on some of them wires. The DP is the one thing I want miss once my TC motor is done :)

I will say this, just replacing the exhaust plugs helped smooth out the car a lot for me.

Pro-Hawk said:
I feel your pain :( I just did the exhaust and about to do the intakes my self, maybe that valcumm tube idea will help out some with my swivel and 6"ext. Tomorrow I will go down and get a pice and maybe a pair of wire boot pliars , my hands are to big to get a good grip on some of them wires. The DP is the one thing I want miss once my TC motor is done :)

I will say this, just replacing the exhaust plugs helped smooth out the car a lot for me.

Well I finnaly got the intakes side done. I used a wire boot pliars, 12" 3/8 ( Thanks 85 coupe 5.0) vacuum tube, 6" ext, 3" ext and a swivel plug socket.

Now the first two was pretty easy even the altinator one using this stuff. The valcuum tube helped a lot, now on the last two I stuck a 6" 1/4 ext in the tube to help it stay straight and not curved. On the last two it made it a lot easier to use a 6" ext along with a 3" ext ( unless you got a solid 9" or so ext which I didn't). Now that last one on the intake next to the fire wall was a real pain until I unpluged the EGR plug and the vacumm line on it. If you do this and use the plug wire pliars it helps a lot. I hope this will help anyone having to change plugs on a DP 2.3L ;)

I changed all the plugs on my car without having to touch anything else. It must be because i'm an F15 mechanic, and those things seem like they were designed to be hard to work on ON PURPOSE.

Oh, and yeah I used a swivel piece on a long extension. It helped a TON.

i4power said:
I changed all the plugs on my car without having to touch anything else. It must be because i'm an F15 mechanic, and those things seem like they were designed to be hard to work on ON PURPOSE.

Oh, and yeah I used a swivel piece on a long extension. It helped a TON.

Only thing I had to do was unplug the EGR which took 5 seconds to unplug and plug back, no biggy. I guess if I had a skinnyer set of pliars or smaller hands I probly could have done it without unpluging the EGR. You need any help on the F15 let me know I watch Monster Garage so I know how to do jets :D

Its all about the right tool for the job on the 2.3L DIS DP cars thats all.

well like i said the right side is easy its the left thats a pain but i never got around to it this weekend instead i just did the headliner so next weekend this is what i will be doing also the tubing is a great ideal so thanx for all the help

ps I also watch Monster Garage so I know how to do jets but this still is a pain in the ass

blastit116 said:
well like i said the right side is easy its the left thats a pain but i never got around to it this weekend instead i just did the headliner so next weekend this is what i will be doing also the tubing is a great ideal so thanx for all the help

ps I also watch Monster Garage so I know how to do jets but this still is a pain in the ass

Also try the part on disconnecting the EGR eletric plug and the vacuum line, once thats done you should have a little more room to tug on the plug wire.
( use the boot pliars to tug though)

Good luck