Don't Fear Teh Gear!!!

Mossberg

Jul 21, 2003
ATL, Shawty
OK, for all of you guys shaking in your boots about 4.10s, here is something to make you feel better. Here is my mileage report a few recent road trips and through normal city driving.

Driving from Detroit to Atlanta and back, I got a consistent 25+ MPG while doing anywhere from 75mph to 90mph with heavy construction traffic here or there. I'm getting about 320 miles to the tank. I got about the same mileage from Cleveland to Atlanta as well. If I drove 65mph to 75mph it would be even better.:D

Oh, and the higher RPMs don't bother you as much as you'd think at 90mph with an offroad midpipe and dronemasters.:D

In Atlanta and Detroit city driving (ridiculous traffic:mad:) , I still get about 18-20 mpg with occasional WOT runs.

So there you have it pussies. If you still fear the gear after this, please start using the ladies restroom from now on. :jester:

• Sponsors (?)

let me know how your car feels when cruising at 100mph+ for an hour. :nonono:
btw the complaints are never about milege. They are about cruising rpm and excessive wear and tear on the engine, having to shift into 5th at the track when you have full bolt ons, etc.....

"Oh, and the higher RPMs don't bother you as much as you'd think at 90mph with an offroad midpipe and dronemasters."
Oh, that would sure bother me. Maybe youve never owned a nice car.
:shrug:

squares98 said:
let me know how your car feels when cruising at 100mph+ for an hour. :nonono:
btw the complaints are never about milege. They are about cruising rpm and excessive wear and tear on the engine, having to shift into 5th at the track when you have full bolt ons, etc.....
I don't feel the need to cruise at 100mph+ for an hour so that is irrelevant to me. And yes, in most of these threads there is usually someone scared that their gas mileage will suck. Do you read any of those threads? I don't care about the 5th gear thing at the track. My car's purpose is to be primarily a fun street machine. Besides, taller tires take care of that.

squares98 said:
Oh, that would sure bother me. Maybe youve never owned a nice car.
:shrug:

BTW, I used to daily drive Cadillacs and my family has owned 3 Lincolns.

Mossberg said:
Also, My daily driver tachs about 3000rpm at 75mph in 5th gear from the factory with no problems, so why is it an issue for a mustang engine to be at 3000rpm at 90 mph?

its not. my 97 GST was around 3500rpm at 85ish and annoying as hell(no 4banger exhaust even comes close the sound of a v8). but running one of todays v8's at 3k is not going to do anything. if anything, i could see wear coming to your tranny since 5th gear will be doing more rpm's than its used to, and can get heat buildup, but even that is highly unlikely to cause problems, since the 4.1's would make less load on the motor since the gearing is higher(torque multiplication ftw).

Mossberg - What is your daily driver? Does it have the same type valvetrain? Same weight in the rotating assembly? Same ring material? Same rod ratio? Same powerband?

So give us the math...instead of saying "about"...give us "exact."

I personally wouldn't want my car cruising at half it's rpm capabilities, just at cruise.

if you dont want 4.10s in your car then dont get them. pretty simple.

this arguements never gonna end, bc there is no right or wrong answer. People have their own preferences, for example: I like pepperoni, you like sausage.

Im going to post a vid I made while driving to work on I-40, cruising between 70-80mph for most of the clip. Some will shrug their shoulders like its no big deal, some will say "OMFG, I cant believe you drive like that everyday!"

Stang|ess said:
I leave my car in 4th when I drive on the highway. 3.27 immitating 4.10s for life!
Mustang GT's immitating Honda Civics ftL :notnice:

I expect more out of my bitches. Shape up or ship out :mad:
Cantslowdown said:
I almost got 4.10s but i have my reasons for 3.73's..
like i said man, both are good ratios, it all depends on what the car owner wants out of a set of gears.

just this nonsense that 4.10 guys are crazy and stupid for having them in DD's is rediculous.