Don't wait, 1964 Mustang is still great

ltccarndt

Sep 11, 2004
Hey Dad don't wait to get a 2005! 1964 Mustang is still great

To all you who say wait til next year ...........

Who will be the ones with 2005's in the garage?
Who will be the ones enjoying the cars when everybody turns to look at it?
Who will be the ones who cruise the main streets to uh's and ah's?

Don't you wish you were the kid whose Dad had gone and bought a 1964 or a 5.0 when he could? Did you grow up in the back seat of a Tempo?

Well your chance is here and now. Live a little Dad and future Dad's.

LTC Arndt (ret) :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you've been watching those Harley-Davidson ads, where the guy bought a dinette set insead of a Harley.

When I was a kid, my farther always bought the cheapest stripper model of every car. After I came of age and started buying and driving cool cars, he realized the error of his ways and finally started buying decent (although not always cool cars).

351CJ said:
Sounds like you've been watching those Harley-Davidson ads, where the guy bought a dinette set insead of a Harley.

When I was a kid, my farther always bought the cheapest stripper model of every car. After I came of age and started buying and driving cool cars, he realized the error of his ways and finally started buying decent (although not always cool cars).
:lol:

I'm a bit confused...are you saying we should go buy a 64 Stang? Or are you saying don't wait for next year and go buy an 05 immediately to get in on the ground floor?

The 64 Stang I disagree with simply from the stand point of it's simply not going to be as good of a day to day car. If you are talking buy an 05 now...then I kind of agree unless they are like me and are waiting to see what kind of Special editions Ford might have up their sleeves.

I think what he is saying is:

"If you were a kid in the 1960's, don't you wish that your father had bought a 1964 Mustang the day it came out?"

Fast forward to today:

"If you want a 2005 Mustang, just go and get it so 20, 30 or 40 years from now you won't be still regreting that you never got one"

people never thought to hang on to their cars back in the day cause it would be worth ungodly money. if you go out and buy a 05 people arent gonna think 40 yrs in the future or even 20..never know in 40 yrs, gas could be exitinct and we would be in our lil jetsons plane :)

His comments (& mine) have nothing to do with how much a 2005 Stang will be worth 40 years from now. It is simply about getting an '05 Stang today, enjoying it now and 20, 30 or 40 years from now regretting that you never had a new Stang.

351CJ said:
His comments (& mine) have nothing to do with how much a 2005 Stang will be worth 40 years from now. It is simply about getting an '05 Stang today, enjoying it now and 20, 30 or 40 years from now regretting that you never had a new Stang.

I understand this completely; my dad had a Corvair he didn't keep. He regretted not keeping it in the garage and fixing it up the right way. Same with his Chevelle. I have my PT Cruiser now (because I like the styling) but now I'm moving on to the '05 Mustang (as soon as I get my wife's blessing... :p ) so we can have a "date car" just for us -- leave the kids at home... :D .

I don't want to regret not buying this car when I have the opportunity to do so... Now, V6 versus V8 depends on whether or not I can get my wife to test drive the V8...

BETTERBULLITT said:
Or you can wait and then buy your new Cobra, or maybe Shelby, in 2006 or 2007 and then watch as all the guys who have the 2005 GT's drool and ohhh and ahhh over your ride..

Or I can buy the 05 and trade up to the Shelby in 2 years and get to drive both, while the fence sitters watch. :nice:

70snake said:
Or I can buy the 05 and trade up to the Shelby in 2 years and get to drive both, while the fence sitters watch. :nice:

Could do that too, I guess, if you like to spend lots of $$.. I would rather wait and see, since the new one doesn't tug at me the way that it used too.. (before the pussifying of the design).. :D

I don't want the same thing that happened to me with my current car to repeat itself.. I bought my car and then about 6 months later I read about the new Cobra.. And was pissed.. This time, I am waiting for the big gun to come out before I buy.. :nice:

Keep in mind that only truly rare and limited production pieces ever appreciate over long stretches of time FASTER than inflation. In other words, a nicely optioned 1965 289 coupe cost $3,200 bucks brand new. Today, restored like new, it's a $20,000 car. When you factor in all the costs of ownership, insurance for those 40 years, inflation, lost investment potential on your original $3,200, etc.etc.etc... nobody would have "made money" holding onto their oldies, unless it was a Shelby or Boss or something where the current values are exponentially higher. It's all relative. Of course, during all that time you've got the intangible value of ownership and enjoyment and pride in owning the car!! That's not something you can put a price on. So, they're a good investment in that you can have fun with it and use it while you own it. But it's no "money maker", unless you buy and sell classics with the intention of profiting. Kind of the difference between being a day-trader and a retirement consultant. But I digress. I DO agree wholeheartedly with the original post. Life's too short to drive boring practical totally un-fun crap. Live a little, you'll never regret it in the long run. My dad ALWAYS had cool cars coming in and out of our driveway, as he like to pick up muscle cars at the local auctions in the 70's and turn them over for a quick profit. Alot of the proceeds from horse-trading all those cars put my sister & I through college! If he had kept them all, and therefore had to pay for storage (building or rental), insurance, upkeep and maintanance, etc.etc.etc... he wouldn't likely make a dime selling them today, once all the hard math is done, comparing yesterday's dollars to today's. What's nicest about keeping a car forever isn't the value at all, it's the sentimentality and the memories. The car becomes part of the family, and the value is just an interesting thing to talk about over beers.