Drifting!!!

MustangLXT

Nov 1, 2004
Florida
My friends and I are drift addicts. We've established that you can drift anything. I can drift my auto 2.3 N/A in dry whether. The only modification to it is a cone filter. One of my buddies has drifted an auto ford Excursion. He also drifted a little isuzu pickup (which happens to be the slowest thing that I've ever drivin). It is a stick shift but if you drove this truck, you would understand why that is impressive. Full revs and popping the clutch we cant make it spin the tires. It barely even squeaks. Anyone else out there need to go to drifting Rehab?

• Sponsors (?)

T3AL said:
IMO drifting is just show, cant help I perfer hardcore racing.

:p
Sliding almost completely sideways at 70 mph is just show? Yeah, I suppose it is, but that doesn't make it easy... or safe. I get more adrenaline out of drifting than racing. The main reason I'm not into hardcore racing is because I have a 2.3 N/A. That isn't exactly a race car. It isn't a drift car either but drifting is a lot more about the driver than the car he's in. Not that racing isn't, but racing has a lot to do with power as well.

See...I'm not denying it doesn't take skill or isn't a rush...the only problem I have with it is calling it a form of "racing".

If you aren't trying to beat your opponents to the finish line...it's not racing.

Drifting can be somewhat entertaining, but its definatly not racing.
At the last auto-x I went to, I was trying out my new caster-camber plates. I added a bunch of negative camber, and I was running the ussual tire pressure of 50psi front and 45psi rear. First run out, I had exceptional grip in the front leaving the rear end sliding all over the place. It was a real handfulll; I spent most of the run sideways, but finnally spun on the last corner. Next run, I dropped the pressure to 35psi in the rear and got a much more neutral car.

I know it's not racing, but it's still a riot. I'm really not concerned with racing, like I said 2.3 N/A automatic. it's not fast. But drifting I love. It's my heart. It'll also probably get me some nasty tickets one day...but until then....

and how long can you hold a drift with that 2.3 auto?

how about that pickup truck, probably a one wheel peel diff huh?
you need a decent limited slip to actually drift.

to just swing a car around sideways on a road, you need some speed and a corner.

all you people who are putting down driftin, why dont u get out there and try it urself. How are you gunna put somethin down and dont even kno wwhat its all about.

i dunno about an auto, but my 5 speed i held one for about 10 seconds through multiple turns

I have drifted before and i think its the most unsafe form of driving for a lack of better words.

I mean you can control the slide but you cant control your braking well, what if your going twards something that could a harm someone or b yourself. how you gonna stop?

hit the braks and still slide or just slide into it?

Ive seen what happens to a car when some drifter who thinks they know what there doing slide into a car, and its not a pirty picture when you see someone who drifts into a person, thats not pritty eather.

I've held drift's for about five seconds, and thats ****ing good considering it's an auto
The truck we only tried once and he held it for about 3.

T3AL says:
"I have drifted before and i think its the most unsafe form of driving for a lack of better words.

I mean you can control the slide but you cant control your braking well, what if your going twards something that could a harm someone or b yourself. how you gonna stop?

hit the braks and still slide or just slide into it?

Ive seen what happens to a car when some drifter who thinks they know what there doing slide into a car, and its not a pirty picture when you see someone who drifts into a person, thats not pritty eather."

That's part of the joy I get out of it. It's unsafe. I understand that may make me a little messed up in the head. It's about adrenaline, though. I do it because it looks cool, its fun, and dangerous. I enjoy adrenaline.

drifting can be very fun, but should only be done in a safe and responsible manner. doing stupid stuff like drifting during heavy traffic, or even during the day time, when a lot of people are on there daily walks. drifting around a corner, and taking out someone trying to cross the street would not be something I would want to live with. there won't be very many people out at 3am, so thats when i practice. as for stopping during a drift, you have a few choices. first, if have a working hand-brake, pulling that when your in a drift then immediately hitting the brakes will cause the car to spinout, and stop you very quickly. If your car is manual, push your clutch in before your do this just incase you end up facing the wrong direction on the road with a semi coming towards you, you wont have to worry about restarting the car after it stalls. if you don't have a working hand-brake, just quickly lifting your foot off the gas, and hitting the brakes should take enough weight of the back wheels for the car to spin. if all else fails, look for an object that that would do the least amount of damage if you ran into it. If you see a wall, and a brand new bmw up ahead, aim for the wall. also if your positive you can get the car strait again, stopping with all 4 wheels facing forward it the absolute fastest way of stopping your car. oh yeah one more thing, if you don't know what the hell your doing, don't do it. go invest in a high performance driving school. There a little expensive, but worth every penny.

wow, you people are some crazy mofo's.
I have done my fair share of sliding, but it is always spontaneous and completly depent on the conditions. I once had to go out at 1am to pick up some friends because their car died. As I was leaving town, there was absolutly no traffic out, so I got kicked the back end out around a corner. Well, just my luck, around the corner and a little ways down, there is a cop coming up the street. Of course, he pulled my over to see what I was doing, took my license to make sure I wasn't a wanted felon or anything. He then told me "its ok to have a little fun once in a while" and to be carefull out there. How lucky is that!?

I'm about as responsible as it gets when it comes to drifting in the streets. I only do it when no one is around. I mostly do it at night because it's easier to spot headlights at night than a car during the day. Most of the places I go to drift are wide open so everything is in view. There really aren't any blind spots so I won't be seen by cops and I'm able to see all cars around as well as people around. I have been drifting in a parkin lot before and the cop that saw me said "There's a time and a place and this isn't either." He let me go. What makes it even better is that my tags were expired....and he STILL let me go. If you have private property with pavement, or know someone with some, that's the best, because it's legal. How you drive on private property is your business and you can't get a ticket for it. I've had my share of slip-ups. I've hit a couple of curbs, cracked one of my rims. And as far as my slip-ups are concerned, no one knows unless I've told them about it. Why? because no one was there to see them. Saying that we are completely irresponsible is ridiculous, we are partly irresponsible and other may be completely. But everyone is irresponsible. Drinking alcohol is irresponsible. Speeding even 5 miles per hour over is irresponsible. J-walking is irresponsible. Being late for work is being irresponsible. Anyone who blames us for what we do, has no room to talk because I garuntee they are irresponsible too.

I need someone to go driftin with. I didnt mean to come off so critical, but a lot of people put down drifting and dont even know the real thrill. You need power to drift, and a good suspension set up. But you mainly need power, and LSD in order to drift.

I would like to start a club. Like they have those car meets n stuff. Im hopin to see a mustang in the D1 next time an event is held here

MagnaflowGT said:
I need someone to go driftin with. I didnt mean to come off so critical, but a lot of people put down drifting and dont even know the real thrill. You need power to drift, and a good suspension set up. But you mainly need power, and LSD in order to drift.

I drive a one-legger stock 2.3 N/A auto and I drift. In dry whether I can hold it for a good 5 seconds, as far as wet weather as concerned....well...the possibilities are endless. Oh yeah, I'm on stock suspension too. I would be more capable if my car had modifications. But drifting is much more about the driver than anything else.

Stinger said:
Does this seem like an oxymoron to anyone else? :shrug:

lol.. yes it does. But yea. I got the car set up for drifting. I just need to tweek the suspension and the caster angles. I need a good body kit too. But yea, drifting is about 90% driver, 10% car, remember, you cant hold good drifts without a good amount of power. Depending on speed, 200rhp is enough to get u going sideways for a good lil while :nice: