Driver side rear wheel whobble

Hey Ryan,

Wasn't paying attention to your location until the last post. I live in New Iberia and have to let you know that if you are considering making a nice little drive down to Manchac, you should consider hooking up with Johnny Jackson in Houma, first. The guy has a "mustang graveyard". You should see the stuff!!!!

Last time I went to visit with the dude I came back with more things than you can imagine. 2/3 of his house is filled with new and NOS parts, as well as some descent used parts. I was looking for a 9" and saw something like 4 sets of 28 spline axles under his carport. Give him a call (985) 872-2229.

Before I forget...... he is a hard bargain but he'll work with you :).

Claude Tremblay
P.S. Look me up.... I am restomoding a 68 Fastback and am pulling a lot of stuff that you may be interested in (engine, tranny, factory front disc brake etc...).

• Sponsors (?)

Ryan, if you want to get them from somewhere else, that's not going to hurt my feelings.

I'll be pulling them out this evening as I want to go to my buddy's shop to pick up my new axles and have him check the bearings on the ones I have.

hey larry,

well i dunno where i'll get them lol, i don't plan on going out that way for awhile. :D i'd most certainly prefer buying them from you :) only negative thing right now is shipping costs. how much do those things weigh anyway? lol

as of now i'm still interested in yours, but if i find some driving distance from me i'll let you know :)

Okay, I'll pull them out, have them inspected, weight them and get back to you. If you want them, I'll clean them up, weight them and get them ready to box. I can install the studs or let you do it yourself if you want. I'll check a price at the local parts store and my Ford dealership asI have a buddy that works there that can get me a discount. Since I know what the shipping box looks like for aftermarket axles, I should be able to get a rough estimate of it's size so we can get an idea of shipping costs. I don't think it'd be over $25, but don't quote me on that.

66stangmeister said:
hey Claude,

thanks for the useful info :D

New Iberia? :) thats not that far hehe i'm in Youngsville actually :D so thats not too far.

Do you go to any of the shows in Lafayette?

Have made it to a couple of shows at that new Hot Rod place off Congress (the old Harley place), but haven't brought my baby yet. I did manage to go in a buddies GT500 clone but that car is at Cajun Customs to get the Eleanor kit on :bang:

Do you ever come to the one at Duffy's Diner in New Iberia???

Claude

ah yes, the Rick's Hot Rod place... i dunno if they are having it there anymore...They are having shows every month at the new bar/grill... Mustang Sally's on Pinhook by the Hotel Acadiana there..

think there's a show up at the new harley place aswell..

i went to the rick's one 2 times i think. lol had an accident there aswell :-( don't like to talk about that lol

no, i haven't heard of the show at Duffy's Diner.... When is that? :)

1320stang, That sounds good :) thank u sir :D

66stangmeister said:
Hello Gents,

I've got this problem with my car and I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas as to whats causing this, cuz i've no real clue.

Here we go, Bout half a year ago, i was told my driver side rear wheel whobbled. Then a day later, one of my friends that was driving behind me said it was whobbling aswell. I checked the studs, lugnuts and the wheel to see if everthing was set properly, and i couldn't see anything wrong there.

Then I didn't really drive it very much for awhile cuz I was all paranoid and no money to really put into it to fix whatever it was.

Anyway, tonight I had my friend stand outside the car as i coasted, and he said it had a slight whobble but you could really notice it.

The only thing I can come up with is either the hub in the drum is loose, or maybe something in the axel itself. It's interesting that people started noticing this when i redid all the rear leafs and shocks around the same time, but i dunno how that would cause the wheel to whobble?

Any other ideas? I dunno how to fix this. :( :shrug: I appreciate any help you can give

It sounds as if your wheel bearing is bad. Do you hear a WOP WOP sound while you are driving? Get up to about 40-50 & put it in neutral & coast to listen. If it is the bearing & it's bad you could damage the race by not fixing it.

Well I assume that it's the driver side cuz it's whobbling on that side. It wouldn't be possible for the passenger side being bent and have a whobble on the driver side is it?

are axles interchangeable? like...can u put any axle on any side? or is there a right hand side one and a left hand side one?

There's a short axle and a long axle, I think the passenger side is the short one and the driver's side is the long one. I believe the good one is the long one, so we may still be good. I'll have to measure it's length to make sure as I tossed the other one and (gosh I hope I tossed the right one, LOL!!) I don't remember which one it was.