Drivetrain Driveshaft Shortening

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
So I went to the show n go at paradise dragstrip today. I saw an aluminum driveshaft and got to talking with the guy. He thought it was an aerostar driveshaft and he told me to make an offer. I checked it over and it appeared straight. I offered him $30 and he took it.

I got home and measured it.....not an aerostar or mustang. It is 3.5". After some research and looking it over, I found out it is a crown vic police interceptor shaft, and it uses the same u joints as my mustang, so the yoke and flange will swap right over.

I have to call around and find someone who can shorten it, but I really have no idea what to expect cost wise. How much have yall paid to shorten one?

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

After doing a little more research, I feel confident that I can shorten it myself, I will obviously have to let someone else weld it and balance it though.

Joe

Joe, to be honest, that is why I just bought a used FMS alum driveshaft for $125 off a buddy. When you factor in the cost of a used Aeostar or other part and then the cost and hassle of getting is shortened and balanced, it wasn't worth it.