driving with open headers OK?

I just took my H pipe off and now my car has open long tube headers. I am kind of curious as to how it will sound and I was wondering if it would hurt anything if I took it for a ten minute drive?

My main concern is all that hot exhaust frying something under the car. It looks like it exits kind of close to the transmission mounts...

Other than getting a ticket, should I worry at all by doing this?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I drove a '95 Cobra with only the stock catted h-pipe for maybe 3-4miles and back (had to run to the hardware store for new bolts)

As long as it's not extrememly hot, you should be able to take it around the block, but I wouldn't drive it far or long since there is nothing stopping flames from coming out....

I didn't have any problems when I drove my car with just LTs around the neighborhood. Talk about loud though :crazy: . I was afriad to take it over 2500 it was so loud and I was afriad to being pulled over. Only downside is a complete lack of lowend torque. For a 10 minute drive, I wouldn't worry about a thing.

You most likely won't damage anything but your hearing. Although there is a chance you could shoot some flames out of the exhaust, but that only happens if unburned fuel is coming out of your exhaust. I have run my car with open shorties b4 but that was only to back it down the ramps the car was on. BTW it sounds cool.

Mario

There is no problem's except that you don't want the valves to cool off to fast, which can happen with open headers. If the valves cool off to fast they can warp and that is not a good thing. With long Tubes you should be pretty safe especially if it's not cold outside. If it's quite cold outside it may be a good idea not to run the car for to long.

Exactly like stated above. Be careful not to shut it off if it is cold out. If its cold out find a warm garage to shut it off in, or pull it up on ramps and shove rags in the headers so that the valves wont cool down to quickly and warp stuff. Ive never had it happen before but I always shove rags in my headers after I shut it off or pull it in a warm garage.

You're mostly going to damage your hearing, if anything. I drove my '88 around the block with open shorties once, and it was just about the loudest thing i've ever heard. Sounds crazy cool though at WOT!

i drove my car about 15-20 miles with the open long tubes to an exhaust shop, no problem at all. its really obnoxiously loud though. im sure open shorties are even louder. on the street I run open cutouts about 75% of the time right behind the H on the hpipe and still feel thats too loud as well. open long tubes @ WOT was crazy loud though :D