Drove a 2000 V6 Camaro today

atlblue2000

Founding Member
Aug 18, 2002
TN
I must say that it was kinda disappointing. And this isnt just b/c I drive a stang. I honestly thought that the auto seemed to zap alot of the power from the engine, especially from a dig. It just didn't seem as responsive as the auto '01 V6 stang I test drove a while back and I'm fairly confident that my 00 stick would be able to pull it, especially off the line. Are their autos notorious for being noticably slower than ours?? I've had the Vortech on for about 8 months now, so maybe that's just spoiled me. :p

• Sponsors (?)

Well, in all fairness, it did seem to have alot more pep above 50. But, the interior sux big time. This one had T-Tops and my head was just about outside the top when I was driving (that woulda sucked in a rollover, huh. :p It also had alot more of a blind spot as compared to my mustang. But I'm sure that 10 other people would have 10 other reviews; that's just what I noticed in my short drive.

i test drove one before i bought my stang and i felt like i was driving a boat. plus, the power felt identical if not slower than mustangs, and the dealer wanted about 1k more for it. fugg that.:notnice:

dastang2 said:
do yall have a 99 and up stang,
Thats what my sig tells me. ;)

dastang2 said:
i know for sure the 94-98 would lose to a GM 3.8 5 spd. even the 3.1 5 spd. in the 92's. i have seen this happen.
Well I'm sure it can happen and it may even happen quite often, but be careful about turning that observation into a blanket statement.

talk about driving a boat, lol. i test drove one back in 01 when i got my first stang, they wanted 22 for it, wouldnt even bargain on the price (because of the fact the 0% sale just started they knew some idiot would pay sticker for it), but yeah i drove an 01 camaro, standard...hated it...then drove an 01 mustang standard...bought it. lol. camaro's do have better high end hp and high end torque, but getting there is the problem, lol.

atlblue2000 said:
It just didn't seem as responsive as the auto '01 V6 stang I test drove a while back and I'm fairly confident that my 00 stick would be able to pull it, especially off the line. Are their autos notorious for being noticably slower than ours??

Im surprised that you thought that the Camaro Auto Tranny felt less responsive then an 01 Auto Stang. The GM Auto is a lot better than the mustang slush boxes. I had 2 Firebirds before my stang(an 89GTA and a 98 Firebird) and they both had much better shifting automatic trannys than the mustang AODE. I never took my 98 F-bird to the track but my brother went to the track with his 95 camaro(Auto) that only had exhaust upgrade and he ran 15.3-15.6 and it was his first time going to a drag strip in his life. So, either the 01 stang had a shift kit or the camaro you drove had something wrong with it.

01White5spd said:
Im surprised that you thought that the Camaro Auto Tranny felt less responsive then an 01 Auto Stang. The GM Auto is a lot better than the mustang slush boxes. I had 2 Firebirds before my stang(an 89GTA and a 98 Firebird) and they both had much better shifting automatic trannys than the mustang AODE. I never took my 98 F-bird to the track but my brother went to the track with his 95 camaro(Auto) that only had exhaust upgrade and he ran 15.3-15.6 and it was his first time going to a drag strip in his life. So, either the 01 stang had a shift kit or the camaro you drove had something wrong with it.

Well, maybe, maybe, maybe. The camaro could have had problems, the 01 auto stang I drove could have just been having a good day, who knows (I highly doubt the stang had a shift kit though b/c the salesmen said it was a trade in from an older lady). But, I will say this. I still feel like the 00 camaro auto was second to the stang's 4r70w, which is not as horrible of a tranny as some people think it is. Now if I were comparing it to ford's 94-95 V6 AODE, that pig just plain sucks. I have driven them all and I still like the newer ford auto better. It was more responsive when I mashed the pedal, it shifted a little smoother up top (although the camaro did well here, too), and it just seemed peppier all around.

dastang2 said:
which tranny, auto or manual. if yours is auto and the other one is a standard than your toast

That's not necessarily the case...my brother had a 00 V6 stickshift Camaro and I beat him many times in my AOD. And before you ask, I'll just answer..yes, my brother knows how to drive a stick. As far as what I think about the Camaro...it's alot lower than my Stang. I dislike losing all the leg room on the passenger side of the car thanks to the big hump GM decided to put over there. The car is much longer and heavier and, I have to say, I really wasn't impressed with the power. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that great either. Also, as someone already mentioned, there is a significant lack of head room. My Stang isn't exactly comfy for someone my size (6'5"), but it's still better than the Camaro I think.

Mean03V6 said:
That's not necessarily the case...my brother had a 00 V6 stickshift Camaro and I beat him many times in my AOD. And before you ask, I'll just answer..yes, my brother knows how to drive a stick. As far as what I think about the Camaro...it's alot lower than my Stang. I dislike losing all the leg room on the passenger side of the car thanks to the big hump GM decided to put over there. The car is much longer and heavier and, I have to say, I really wasn't impressed with the power. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that great either. Also, as someone already mentioned, there is a significant lack of head room. My Stang isn't exactly comfy for someone my size (6'5"), but it's still better than the Camaro I think.

well then maybe my 95 5 spd. just sucks.(i know it does, everything is wrong) maybe the 97 firebird 5 spd felt a lot faster because my 95 has been so crappy for so long, who knows, i can drive too.