Dual Exhaust 3" Tail Pipes?

Well i am not running 3" pipes but you will have problems on the drivers side near the gas tank. The tank is shifted to the left and reduces the clearance between the tank and the framerail. You could run them but you won't be able to tuck them out of the way. Are you running the dual tips like the Mach? I'd suggest dumps either before or after the axle. Drive to a muffler shop and have them take a peak. They'll tell you if they can perform magic :D

Run as large of pipes as you want as long as it isn't a 4 or 6 cylinder :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

jasonn said:
Wrong. When I unbolt it, I just turn the pipe out of the way and put one bolt back in the header to hold it up out of the way. I do not remove the exhaust system. Hueypilot, I was thinking the same thing. My 2.5 is tight also.

Just a logical assumption! However you would gain more if you did...

6Stang7 said:
local muffler shop should have them.

The problem with local muffler shops is they have to crimp/clamp the pipe to bend it. Most can't handle 3" or bigger pipes. When I replaced my 2.5" tail pipes that a local muffler shop had custom installed, some of the bends looked like 1.5" diameter after they had crimped it to fit. So if you are looking to gain CFM's only a CNC bent tube will do.

I don't want to get into an exhaust theory war, but a local shop built a '68 fastback with a 347 last year for a customer, and it had 3" exhaust and the sound alone was enough to make me envious! It sounded waaaaay cool! But then again, I know nobody here ever put something on their car just because the liked it, did you? I say go for it, screw the "experts"...

LOL!! Now that's what I'm talking about! Seriously, at some point we as a group got brainwashed into thinking our Mustangs needed to run as smoothly as a Rolls Royce, be as fuel-efficient as a Toyota and above all else be practical and hopefully not offend anyone. What happened to having a rowdy hot rod? Maybe that's not the best thing if it's your only mode of transportation, but if it's a second car or a weekend warrior, why not? Leave the pleasant, noise-free rides with the top down and the radio playing Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits to the restorers. It's OK to have a car that barely idles, with exhaust so loud that a stereo is a waste of money and a wickedly low, race car stance. I mean jeez, isn't this America, land of independant thinkers that set stupid rules aside? I know this may sound like I'm over-reacting, but this has been a personal issue with me for months now. A freind recently loaned me an original Shelby two-fours intake manifold for my clone project. He didn't want to sell it, but said I could keep it as long as I kept the car, he didn't need it and wanted to see it on something like my car, being used rather than collecting dust. The thing has been in his possession since about '69 and is in mint condition, and I was thrilled to get it. I devised a plan to run it, using 390cfm Holley carbs I think it'll work fine. You ought to see and hear the reaction I get from some of my car buddies! You'd think I was going to run my car on nitromethane! All I hear is, " it'll never work" and " I wouldn't do that with the price of gas these days", blah, blah blah. What about building something that gives you chills just to hear it run? Don't get me wrong, I'm building my car to drive, and I personally have a strong dislike for trailer queens, but I think that lumpy cams and nasty exhaust are what makes a hot rod a hot rod and can be used on a street car. It's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

well said zookeeper :D

If you want your car to run and drive like a benz, then go buy a benz....dont get me wrong, i LOVE what evrey one is doing in here, with FI swaps and R&P, ride handling and sound controll and upgraded brakes......but damn....I have a huge tire in the back and a little skinny tire up front, with 4 wheel drum brakes a peppy 302 motor with a loud ass exhaust and love it....some people say its too "old school".....but im 19 and i frickin LOVE it lol

Amen!

zookeeper said:
I don't want to get into an exhaust theory war, but a local shop built a '68 fastback with a 347 last year for a customer, and it had 3" exhaust and the sound alone was enough to make me envious! It sounded waaaaay cool! But then again, I know nobody here ever put something on their car just because the liked it, did you? I say go for it, screw the "experts"...

Amen brotha. Geeez!! The poor guy just asked where he could get 3" pipes! There's a guy in our club with 3" on his 65 and they sound great.

Fire breathing, loud as **** cars (and trucks) are fun for about a day (for me) then it's time for a nice quiet sleeper that also happens to blow the loud, rowdy cars off the road :rlaugh: If I can't hear those three Holley's bellowing under the hood at WOT, I ain't happy. :nice:

68converted said:
Did they change the sound? Performace? Torque? I bet they look sick!

I don't know what it sounded like before but he's got 3.5" pipes from the headers to an x pipe, then 3 to the back. With the windows down, it really wasn't too loud at all. He had Spintech mufflers on it too.

Performance and torque? Well it's a full-tilt 427FE making about 500 horses so I think it gets by....LOL. The ride he took me on was absolutely balls out!
:crazy: