Turbo or Chambered mufflers?

Some help needed again...
My stock single exhaust at the rear bumper had the one into two pipe.
I am installing new dual exhaust and purchased these rear tail pipe hangars
1709847699786.png

My existing bolt holes,in the frame, for the bracket, are sideways ( more side to side, not up and down) and I assumed these new brackets went vertical ( the bolt hole down with the bent part sliding into the hole on top)... Is my assumption incorrect and Do these fit " sideways" like the holes in the frame are now?
Hope I am making sense here...
The pass side has NO holes for a tailpipe hanger, I didn't expect any but I want to get one side correct before i start drilling...
thanks for any help here...

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

There should be one bolt hole, and a hole for that tab, so the hanger stays in place. I just replaced those hangers on mine a little bit ago. I’ll see if I have a pic, but I believe the are more horizontal than vertical.
The tab feeds into a slot, then you bolt it down….. if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There should be one bolt hole, and a hole for that tab, so the hanger stays in place. I just replaced those hangers on mine a little bit ago. I’ll see if I have a pic, but I believe the are more horizontal than vertical.
The tab feeds into a slot, then you bolt it down….. if that makes sense.
Yeah, it makes the kinda sense I wanted to hear...
My stock bracket has two holes and both holes in the frame are threaded, so I need to drill one out slightly for the Tab to fit into it
The hole/tang aligns with the two holes in the old bracket..
Thank you.....

On Black Jack, I just had an exhaust shop cut and weld pipes until we got it the way I wanted. No vibrations. It's a basic 2.5" Flowmaster 44 2 chamber. Sounds great, not too loud, IMO.

In the black Turbo 331 with a 76mm turbo to a 3.5" downpipe, to a Y-pipe with an electric cutout, to 3" duals back to Super Turbos it is still too loud for my liking. Tried to quiet things down from the UltraFlos that were straight through, but that didn't work as well as I'd hoped. Maybe sound deadening and running pipes out the back instead of dumps will improve things. Would like to know what the quietest muffler out there is. If I want loud or to race, that's what the cutout is for.

The quietest setup I've ever had was stock cam with an incon twin turbo through 2.5" pipes to super turbos. Now that was smooth and quiet. So, there's a solution I can get behind... Install an Incon Twin Turbo kit!
Super turbos aren't much quieter than ultraflos? Been tire kicking swapping mine for quite a while. My dynomax ultraflo cat back went in easy and clears my 3 link.
I'd take some pics but my scanner is down because of a windows update and I can't get my Polaroids online. Lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
You know, I'm not sure how to answer that question. I had one combo where I was very happy with how quiet they were and another combo where I wasn't. For sure super turbos are quieter, but on the turbo 331, they were still so loud a neighbor was complaining. I've thought it has more to do with the 3" exhaust. The superturbos on the 2.5 was definitely quieter, but the stock cam and small twin turbos has a significant part to play in that.

Last edited:
I have a high end decibel meter, i bought it used on a whim for like $15. You know, because why in the world would i buy a version for an amateur when i could be a professional with something i'm never going to really use at the price of $15?
Person said it needed to be calibrated, i figured, how hard could that possibly be? Well, the device to calibrate it new is like $400, lol.
But there are calibrators on ebay (specific to this device) for like $75. Maybe i just make a $15 offer on that too (they have had 3 of them for sale for like a year).
I'm not sure how i would even know if it needs calibrating at all because i've yet to find a place that has zero noise, it picks up everything.
If i can prove it's calibrated or get a calibrator, i will swap the mufflers and test it once and for all.

How loud super turbos are, isn't just a debate between foxbody guys, it's basically a question for all muscle car guys searching for something quieter.

• Haha
What calibrates the calibrator and how much is that? Me thinks Ponzi scheme.
I actually looked into today, i've been running into this thing in the box for a few years.
I could send it and get it certified for $75 (because it is really meant to be used professionally for noise) or just use it as is.
The company seems to think mine works just fine for whatever i'm going to do with it. Basically just go by the difference in decibels anyway. I did make an offer on a calibrator of $15, it was turned down, i guess that guy will still have it and the two others for another 3 years.
My guess is mine has always been fine, found a spot on the box that was labelled $8, so they made $7 on me and it most likely came from a garage sale. All the plastic wrap and even screen protector were still intact. I kinda think it was never user.

So i'll buy some super turbos and see how it goes. If i don't like them i'll list them on facebook for 125% of what i paid like everyone else.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate the marketplace joke... Got me pretty good!

Only thing I remember is that the 3" super turbos are 2.5" internally. Didn't matter to me, b/c of my cutouts. Don't remember what's on your car. Just wanna make sure you know if you want 3" stuff, you might have to look elsewhere.

Back in the day, the day being mid-'90s, Dynomax Super Turbos 2.5" were the way to go. They flowed better than factory mufflers, let you bump up to 2.5" diameter pipes, and were close to the stock noise level at idle and part throttle, but a tad bit more roar at WOT. Much quieter than Flowmasters or Borla at the time. I don't know if they even make the same ones from back in the day, I haven't looked in years.

The other big sound factor is if you're running cats or an O/R pipe. Cats take a lot of noise energy out of the exhaust note. You can run a lower restriction muffler / system with cats and it will sound more mild.

Totally subjective, but I sort of like the sound of the Bassani cat-back system. A friend of mine had one on his Fox and it sounded pretty good. The tailpipes were pretty a big diameter and you could put in a baffle that was sort of like a short glasspack. That on top of the straight through mufflers kept the sound level pretty reasonable and fairly loud with his O/R pipe and the baffles removed. He added one of their X-pipes with cats and it was pretty tame even with the baffles removed. Their mufflers and tailpipes were pretty nice in all stainless. The only downside from what I remember was that the pipe routing was not the same as the factor tails and has to be heavily modified for an MM panhard bar.

I appreciate the marketplace joke... Got me pretty good!

Only thing I remember is that the 3" super turbos are 2.5" internally. Didn't matter to me, b/c of my cutouts. Don't remember what's on your car. Just wanna make sure you know if you want 3" stuff, you might have to look elsewhere.
I have a dynomax ultraflo 2.5 complete lx catback, it's discontinued at this point.
My preference is always stainless, but in this case i liked that it could be bolted in (i switched to band clamps and slotted the pipes) and that it fit with the PHB and torque arm, which it does, kinda easily. Also allows for infinite adjustment.

As for sound, yeah it's subjective, but i think people make too much out of it, a couple weeks with any exhaust and you get used to it.
For me, it's not the tone, it's how loud it is or how not loud i want it to be.

Bassani would surely be my goto, but the logistics and cost of buying a bassani stainless catback, then having it modified to fit around the 3 link, just doesn't make sense. Probably be a $1200 catback maybe more by the time it's done.
But rest assured, it's up there with the nicest highest quality catbacks out there, the baffles are a nice touch too.
At a certain point when my buddy owned his mustang shop he would only install bassani period. The rest were taking too much time to weld and modify. So if you wanted something else, he sent you to an exhaust shop because it wasn't a good use of their time to wrestle with crappy flowmaster catbacks.

I think the correct dynomax muffler is 17734 based on my measurements, but dynomax gave me a different number, which appeared to be 2.25 so i'm thinking they were wrong, sounded like a guy reading out of book when i called (a long time ago).

I have a dynomax ultraflo 2.5 complete lx catback, it's discontinued at this point.
My preference is always stainless, but in this case i liked that it could be bolted in (i switched to band clamps and slotted the pipes) and that it fit with the PHB and torque arm, which it does, kinda easily. Also allows for infinite adjustment.
I noticed a while back that dynomax renamed what used to be called "Race Magnums" to Ultraflo. Doesn't sound like you're after a set at this point, but could it be that they've just renamed again?
As for sound, yeah it's subjective, but i think people make too much out of it, a couple weeks with any exhaust and you get used to it.
For me, it's not the tone, it's how loud it is or how not loud i want it to be.
This. Exactly. Most of us used to be concerned with power production, and on high HP cars, particularly turbo cars, you need to alleviate any backpressure, but for the vast majority, mufflers aren't going to make a SOTP difference. So, just pick what ya like, and don't overthink it. Good sound deadening and pipes out the back instead of turn downs makes a world of difference, too.
Bassani would surely be my goto, but the logistics and cost of buying a bassani stainless catback, then having it modified to fit around the 3 link, just doesn't make sense. Probably be a $1200 catback maybe more by the time it's done.
But rest assured, it's up there with the nicest highest quality catbacks out there, the baffles are a nice touch too.
At a certain point when my buddy owned his mustang shop he would only install bassani period. The rest were taking too much time to weld and modify. So if you wanted something else, he sent you to an exhaust shop because it wasn't a good use of their time to wrestle with crappy flowmaster catbacks.

I think the correct dynomax muffler is 17734 based on my measurements, but dynomax gave me a different number, which appeared to be 2.25 so i'm thinking they were wrong, sounded like a guy reading out of book when i called (a long time ago).
Never had bassani but my late friend Keith loved em with an X-pipe. I'll keep an eye out to pay attention next time I see some on a car.

Installing a new dual exhaust on my 83.. Stock Explorer 302, P heads with a TF stage 1 cam.. Shorty headers...
H pipe, NO cats, full exhaust out the back.. 2 1/2".....
I want it quiet, just a step above stock in sound, but not a single exhaust vacuum sounding POS....
Will be using the longest muffler I can find/fit ..
Down to Walker #22393 or Jones Q524B.......
Walker is a turbo, Jones is chambered....
Is it correct to say the chambered muffler will have a deeper, muscle car sound?
The Turbo muffler ( walker ) relies on some fiberglass packing to quiet it..
Both are appx. 19" long in the body, 24" in total length...
Any thoughts on he

Last edited:
  • Wow
Well, walker owns dynomax (so the sound may be similar) and those measurements look to be massive.
My car is on the lift in my garage so i measured.
Looks like 14 body, about 18 overall.
I see no way in hell you getting 24in in there then going over the axle.
I'm not sure i'd even consider going past 20 overall.

Edit: After a better look, you aren't going back towards the axle at all and you have 3.5 inches to the floor boards (beginning of seat wells).
So for the body, i'd call 17 the max and that only gives you .5 inches clearance if it moves around.
My guess is the decision on those two mufflers is made for you.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Never had bassani but my late friend Keith loved em with an X-pipe. I'll keep an eye out to pay attention next time I see some on a car.
I was a Distributor of Bassani Exhaust when I had a Mustang Performance shop.
Everyone that bought one loved it.
Nobody had a negative comment on the sound or quality.
Fit and finish was second to none.
That was back in late 90's early 2,000's

My first stainless bassani X pipe was indestructible.
And crazy enough, it was one piece.
The reality is they just could have shipped it with a tag on it, even the worst delivery company wouldn't have been able to damage it.

Well, walker owns dynomax (so the sound may be similar) and those measurements look to be massive.
My car is on the lift in my garage so i measured.
Looks like 14 body, about 18 overall.
I see no way in hell you getting 24in in there then going over the axle.
I'm not sure i'd even consider going past 20 overall.

Edit: After a better look, you aren't going back towards the axle at all and you have 3.5 inches to the floor boards (beginning of seat wells).
So for the body, i'd call 17 the max and that only gives you .5 inches clearance if it moves around.
My guess is the decision on those two mufflers is made for you.
I read your response here and today while trying to get my tailpipes and some hangers on, I see what you mean... The box area, right in front of the rear end,and BEHIND the Floorboards is the only place where I can install the mufflers... I was measuring all the way under the floorboards to the H Pipe... ..
Thanks before I made an expensive or pita mistake here.......

NP, if you really want quiet or a step above stock, just run a catted H or X pipe.
My exhaust is too complicated to simply add cats being a mix from different year cars and floor clearance issues.
But if i could i would just run a catted bassani 3 piece X pipe.
I ran a catted pipe back in the day with 3 chamber flowmasters (who knows what they call them now) and it was low volume for sure.
Probably smell a lot better too.

Or chop up the H or X you have now and add resonators.