Ebay tail-light tint, what a pain

• Sponsors (?)

I had a friend of mine that works at a body shop paint my taillights...

jvm1007-1.jpg

jvm1005-2.jpg

jvm1006-1.jpg

Well I tried to do mine with the static tint. Wasn't very good looking because I don't know hwo you guys are cutting them. Mine I just put a square piece over the light and cut around the edges with an exacto knife but the edges are all jagged and stuff...can someone tell me how I can get them cut nice and straight who has done them before? I still have enough left to give it another shot if someone would kindly lend me a hand....

I have also seen a lot of tint cause the tail lights to "Dent" in the light.

Mostly the ones with adhesive back on them.

Not sure why the do it but I have seen it happen a hand full of times.

I have noticed this too on another stang I owned a few years ago.
I had the same tint kit you bought and it seems that it held in the heat and caused the tails to dent or concave where the bulb was. Basically melting and warping the tail light.

Hey what's up,

My name is George and found this forum through google looking for ways to customize my mustang and ran across this post. So i wanted to share my experience with this stuff.

We bought some tint/vinyl whatever it is from ebay from rvinyl and it was very hard to put on and came with no instructions. We ended up screwing it up! we had no idea what we were doing, so we bought 4 more pieces 2 from metrodecals and 2 from xpinvinyls.

The metrodecals vinyl was a bit harder as well (didn't stretch with the heat much).. Me and my friends look at each other and said how in the hell do people put this on!

So we get down to our last 2 pieces from xpinvinyls and guess what? They were way easier and stretchier to work with than the other films the other sellers had.

Just our personal experience with these sellers of this vinyl stuff.. They look awesome, but a pain to put on if you have curvy contour lights!

We been having our film on our lights for several months and no fading and or cracking yet (we have the 20% smoke by the way). I just ordered some stylish red vinyl from that xpinvinyls guy from ebay to see how it looks.

I'll keep you guys posted.

I've had Home Depot / Lowes static cling vinyl tint on all my Mustangs' taillights without any issues...now occasionally the side markers don't want to stay in place, but I've never had a problem with the taillights. For less than $20.00 you get a HUGE roll of the stuff...

I used 20% static cling window tint on mine, as well as some others here have. They key is to use heat on the curved pieces.

100_0591.jpg

This one is with the sun shining directly off them, they usually look darker like in the first pic.

100_0590.jpg

Edit: Wow I feel like an idiot for not realizing this thread was so old. LOL.

I've had Home Depot / Lowes static cling vinyl tint on all my Mustangs' taillights without any issues...now occasionally the side markers don't want to stay in place, but I've never had a problem with the taillights. For less than $20.00 you get a HUGE roll of the stuff...

This is what I've done on all of mine as well, and I've only had a problem when washing the car with the pressure washer at the pay-n-spray. You just have to spray past them fast. It helps to have a mix of No More Tears shampoo and water in a spray bottle to hose everything down, a blowdryer to heat it up and stretch it to the curves, and a rubber squeege strip or something of equivalent function (driver's license) to smooth down the bubbles.