Edelbrock carb help... please?

Swede958

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
Austin, TX
Hey everyone- yet again I need more help with my car and I'm hoping someone can help me.
I've had a problem with my car once I finally got it running- it was a little tough to start, then once started idles fine. But while is warmed and idling, if I stab the gas the engine sounds like it turns off for a sec, like a big hiccup.
I asked my dad to look at it while it was running and he said the secondaries aren't even moving.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I have a 600cfm Edelbrock with vacuum secondaries. My dad said big vacuum leak, but unless I missed something, I just rebuilt the carb since it probably needed it anyways and it still does the same thing? :shrug:

I would really appreciate any carb gurus help on this one...

The Swede

• Sponsors (?)

I thought all Edelbrocks were mechanical secondaries? The secondaries shouldn't be moving at idle anyway. And if it's a vacuum they won't move just by moving the linkage.

To me it sounds like your accelerator pump needs to be adjusted. You first try moving the lever to a different hole in the pump arm. I had to play with mine to get rid of a hiccup. If that doesn't do it, you can get a bigger squirter nozzle as well.

lol....i forgot....edelbrock secondaries ARE not vacuum. I just rebuilt one myself....once again i was caught not thinking. Check your linkages on your passenger side and make sure everything is working and your springs are back on the right way.

You had me :scratch: for a second there. Something I did once was put the secondary linkage on wrong so that the piece that stops the secondaries from opening when the choke is on was blocking the secondary lever. This caused the secondaries to never open and one very poor running engine under full throttle.

Um, I think there is a new line of Edelbrock carbs that come with vacuum secondaries. It could be very well be your accelorator pump shot. I also had to full with mine to get rid of a stumble. Before you go messing with that though could you tell me how long you've had the carb and if your car ran well with it before?

You're talking about the new AVS Thunder series. The secondaries aren't vacuum operated. Instead there is a valve over the top of them that can be adjusted. Kinda like a choke for the secondaries. I think the Quadrajets have something similar.

Ok, guess I was wrong about the secondaries, my bad. Thanks guys.

As far as how long I've had the carb it was on the car when I bought it, and has run fine for about 3 years now. A little while ago I think I left my electric fuel pump on and it ran down my batt. I thought it might have done some damage to either the needle and seat or the floats or something.

When I pulled the carb apart, the floats seemed way off to what the edelbrock rebuild kit said they should be. I reset them to 11/16" from the top plate and about 1.15" hanging (instructions said 1"-1.25"). Nothing else changed. I did pull off the spring lever on the p/s, couldn't put it back together till I matched it up with one at work. Everything worked well before, maybe tomorrow I'll post a pic and see if anyone sees a problem?

Thanks again for all the help guys!
The Swede

I think i figured out what my problem is! After I clocked out at work tonight I grabbed a carb just like mine off of the shelf, sat on a stool with it in my lap and just fiddled with it for a little bit.

As far as I can tell, the choke isn't pulling the choke plate open enough, hence the mechanical stops on the accelerator side of the car do not move and prevent the throttle from going all the way down, I bet if I either can adjust the rod or the choke itself I might be able to get it to drop the linkage on the throttle side and let me use my secondaries!

The Swede