EFI comnversion

jlangholzj

Mustang Master
Oct 23, 2006
CLT
I'm looking at getting a Kit put together for EFI conversion that would include all the materials for your ECU and intake combination of choice.

I'm trying to get some ideas for the manifold and TB however and it seems like they're all pretty large flow rates (1000CFM) for a sock-ish looking setup, like this one from edelbrock:

EDL-35210.jpg

I'd like to have a TB setup as such to try and maintain a "stock" sort of look but all of those plenums are going to be really detrimental at low RPMS, there's really no air reserve like these fellas:
71283.jpg

I'm trying to find a good intake/TB combo I guess.

as for the kit, it would include a fusebox + wiring that could be tailored to whatever ECU you would wish to choose. Something like a Performance electronics PE-3 is about $1200 or my (personal) favorite is the Motec M84 but thats about a $2400 bill. This would also give the option to convert it over to a Coil on Plug setup as well. This give the user/tuner the ability to really move around the fuel and ignition timing.

About the only thing I'm lacking to the kit is a decent intake/TB and i should be able to put the rest together.

It would be about $200 for the coils, another $200 for injectors and $300 for the relay box unit. The wiring harness would be an optional $200-300 for labor and then obviously the ECU of choice.

I do realize that this comes up to about par with the other EFI conversion kits out there but I'm honestly not a real big fan of any of the ECU's that come with it. Also with a kit like this, it would provide some more flexibility with the options. You'd be able to run the same kit regardless of the engine components and its a helluva lot more tune-able.

idk, I'm probably just shootin in the dark here but I'm curious to see what you guys think.

• Sponsors (?)

IMO, if this is for your engine combo in your sig, its not worth it.If it was a fully built motor that could take advantage of of the tuning of then yes.

Its not, I'd like to get something put together for the kit but in the near future I'm wanting to run a pretty radical 347 or 383. Besides that its frustrating to see the limits of the kits that are offered out there currently. Not really sure of the proper intake/TB combo for something thats NOT a strip car.

I do all of this for our FSAE car anyway....which is what perked my interest :p

what if you go with a home made kit. like a fox ECU, elbow and tb. 19 or 24# injectors and a maf or speed density... will be a ton cheaper than one of these kits. get some bungs welded onto a vic jr intake or something like that. fuel rails and electric pump wont be too expensive maybe a couple hundred. ive seen something like this done before. i can not justify spending 3k or so on a kit