Electric fan staying on

cmclean

Founding Member
Dec 18, 2000
Houston, TX
Hey guys. I just bought a 1994 GT, and couldn't figure out why the battery keeps going dead. Parked the car, heard the fan running. I thought it would cut off after a while. Came back from dinner (2 hours) and the fan is still running, completely drained the battery.

What would keep the fan on like that even with the car turned off? I'm puzzled.

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

yeah sounds like some rigging in your car.With the switch off there should be no power going to anything.I kinda have the same problem,my fan stays on all the time,doesnt matter if its 5* outside,but only when the car is running.

I don't see any rigging. Just the factory plug.

Maybe the CCRM module is bad? I know the 94/95 had a fan recall, but I thought that was for the fan burning up, not staying on even with the key off.

Damn, this is confusing.

:shrug:

Is there any kind of way that you wire up a manual fan switch off of the harness on the coputer itself, i would turn on and off the fog lights etc. just to be sure, otherwise, i would say that someone tapped into the fan wire somewhere before it gets to the harness itself, that being said it would have to have power from the battery itself, or at least something that always has a source of power to it.

just a thought

jason

PRO50SC said:
Look for the fan relay. Locate it and tap on it. It's probably sticking. If that doesnt work, unplug it. See what happens. Could also be a shorted wire causing the relay to stay energized.

Where is the fan relay located? Any way the fan relay is bad? Still doesn't make sense why the fan is getting power with the car turned off.