Electric Fuel pump for carbed 302 questions

5.0 Fiend

Mar 23, 2004
Instead of putting the mechanical fuel pump on my efi swap, I may just buy an electric one instead. How easy is it to wire into my 84 wiring harness? (I am not a wiring genius). Do I have to mount it under the car, or can I put it in the engine bay? Will I need a regulator?

• Sponsors (?)

5.0 Fiend said:
Instead of putting the mechanical fuel pump on my efi swap,

You say efi swap, is it carbed or efi :shrug: If carbed you can use a electric fuel pump, only need key on power to it and a ground, not too bad to wire. You'll need a regulator too. I use the aeromotive steet rod pump, nice piece and not too pricey.
mike.

I recently converted my 88 efi to carb. I installed a Carter electric fuel pump. Mounted in the rear on the frame rail. I also put in a Fram fuel filter before the pump. The wiring was easy. I connected to a seperate switch that I manually turn on. Didn't use or need a regulator as the pump adjusts the amount of gas it sends.

I guess I was a little unclear in my post, I am converting an 88 to a carb.I have a couple of dead switches already on my dashboard,so I could just run a hot wire to one of them for the pump, then route the positive on the pump to to the switch? So I guess the only problem would be is that I would always have to remember to turn the switch off when I turn the car off. Could be good thing too though I guess, if the throttle stuck open, I could cut the fuel supply with the switch, should I also get the low oil pressure shutoff switch also? My dad has an old airplane fuel pump that he used on his vega fourbanger when he was my age, but I should probably just go with the holley. My last question is, is it ok to mount it in the engine bay, some people say yes, some say no, I really have no access to a car lift, but I guess I could back it up on ramps, would be easier to mount up front for me.