electric water pump?

I wasn’t trying to be condescending in any way, I was just curious since you had one if you knew if they were flow regulated at all? It seems everyone in this thread other than yourself is interested in running them on a street car (myself included) and I'm guessing that's why the question was asked in the first place.....and not to spilt hairs here, but you did after all condone it’s use to a member who was in fact running a street car. :stick:

Nice car BTW. :nice: :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the the pump would be fine on a street car, just as Meziere states. But then it turned into a thermostat/no thermostat thread which on a street car I am not 100% sure on how it would work.

Fact of the matter is the Meziere pump moves more water than a mechanical pump will. Thermostat/no thermostat I don't see this being a bad thing.

No thermostat on the street would be amazingly stupid.

Now an electric water pump would do great on the street. Although I would not run one unless you have some kind of warning light or buzzer incase your temps get up. If you electric pump takes a crap while you are going down the interstate then you will be in deep **** very fast unless you catch the overheating very fast.

What specifically makes running no t-stat on street amazingly stupid? I am in a similar situation as troy. My car will be all track, however I still need to break in my tranny, clutch. Will it be fine to run no t-stat meanwhile with or without electric water pump?

Have you guys looked at the ebay pumps? They are chrome, however they may be for fox and not sn95.

Heres my .02 cents worth:D,

There was a big debate on this around my area some time ago. I would love to run one it’s just that if it ever failed you would overheat the motor….not worth a few hp for me vs. the cost of my motor. There had been some failures of electric pumps is why this was brought up. Mechanical pumps start to leak but I have never heard of one failing and overheating the engine. If I was a drag racer I would have one for sure and use it to cool the motor down like was talked about. I have had electric fans fail and quit but never a mechanical fan…..not the same I know but if a fan fails as long as you are moving you won’t overheat. Loose a water pump and you don’t have much time before you could do serious damage and unless you caught it on your gauge or had a light it would probably be too late. I guess I’m not willing to take the risk for a few horsepower.

I would always run a thermostat on anything but a drag car that I wanted to cool between rounds. The wear on a motor below 180deg is huge. They have a chart in this engine blueprinting book I got and there is like 4 times the wear at 160 vs. 180 and below 160 it’s unreal. If I only ran ¼ or 1/8mi. at a time I wouldn’t care, but this is why you have a thermostat that is closed to heat the engine up as quickly as possible then open to maintain the temp. Once you hit 180 the difference between that and 200 is minimal.

Tom

Heres my .02 cents worth:D,

There was a big debate on this around my area some time ago. I would love to run one it’s just that if it ever failed you would overheat the motor….not worth a few hp for me vs. the cost of my motor. There had been some failures of electric pumps is why this was brought up. Mechanical pumps start to leak but I have never heard of one failing and overheating the engine. If I was a drag racer I would have one for sure and use it to cool the motor down like was talked about. I have had electric fans fail and quit but never a mechanical fan…..not the same I know but if a fan fails as long as you are moving you won’t overheat. Loose a water pump and you don’t have much time before you could do serious damage and unless you caught it on your gauge or had a light it would probably be too late. I guess I’m not willing to take the risk for a few horsepower.

I would always run a thermostat on anything but a drag car that I wanted to cool between rounds. The wear on a motor below 180deg is huge. They have a chart in this engine blueprinting book I got and there is like 4 times the wear at 160 vs. 180 and below 160 it’s unreal. If I only ran ¼ or 1/8mi. at a time I wouldn’t care, but this is why you have a thermostat that is closed to heat the engine up as quickly as possible then open to maintain the temp. Once you hit 180 the difference between that and 200 is minimal.

Tom
both good points.

I've run the Meziere Electric pump on my car for over a year now, and have no complaiints. The motor is out right now getting ready for a new Dart block, but the electric pumps is going back on the new setup.
And the car is pretty much my daily driver in the Spring Summer and Fall.

Guess I will just follow up all my posts with "this is what works on my car", which majority of the people here know my car never sees the street.

How about someone go test their car without a thermostat and report back.

:lol::rlaugh:

WE all want YOU to do ALL the investigative reporting for us! :lol:
We want a COMPLETE story...."WHAT ABOUT ME??" :lol:

Thanks for the updates!!

RC