Electric waterpump...Is it worth it?

LXSTASY

Founding Member
Apr 25, 2000
Long Island, NY
Well I have finally graduated college and will soon be getting a full-time job. I have a ton of parts laying around and they will be getting put on soon.
So far:
AFR 165
Ported Cobra intake
Cam???
24# injectors
LT's, full exhaust etc, etc...

I am looking to make as much power as I can, be streetable and retain power steering and A/C.

Now when I install all of this I want a new waterpump also. Do I go for an edelbrock mechanical or a mezziere electrical one.
The price is not a big deal, but the hassle is. Is it reliable enough and worth the extra power?

I already run a decent stereo and have a 130 amp alternator, that I might swap out for a 200 amp if I get the electric waterpump.
So lemme know ur opinions and experiences with electric pumps.

BTW, it is a street driven weekend summer car.
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

for streetability, go with a nice aluminum mechanical pump. The electric ones are mostly for dragracing and they actually don't flow as much coolant as a high volume mechanical one does. Plus if you have a nice stereo, electric fan, electric water pump, EFI, lights all runnin at the same time, not sure if your alt. can handle it. Im running a nice Weiand aluminum high volume mechanical water pump and its been very nice and cools like a mofo.

Well i do have all that you listed.
I know it doesnt cool as good as a mechanical pump at high rpms, but it cools better at a low rpm and traffic. I am a little nervous to get the pump in fear of electrical meltdown. I would upgrade the alternator to a 200 amp.
I would like the extra power, but not the headache.
Anyone else?
Thanks

ExplodingGopher said:
for streetability, go with a nice aluminum mechanical pump. The electric ones are mostly for dragracing and they actually don't flow as much coolant as a high volume mechanical one does. Plus if you have a nice stereo, electric fan, electric water pump, EFI, lights all runnin at the same time, not sure if your alt. can handle it. Im running a nice Weiand aluminum high volume mechanical water pump and its been very nice and cools like a mofo.

+1 exactly what I was going to say

if you really want an electric pump, then get one. i did and don't regret it. my car is like yours, basicly weekend warrior. i do drive mine to work couple times a week too. i have no problems with it at all. works like a mech pump, but it is electric. granted it is overkill, but i wanted to be a little different. i got the mezier(sp) 300 series. cost me $375 for it. unlike other elec pumps, this one you can still hook up your A/C and PS pump to it. i did have to grind the A/C bracket some, but nothing difficult. bolted right up and it comes with provisions for the heater core as well. another plus as to why i got this pump. right now i have it running off of 12v all the time with key on. when i get the cash, i'm gonna get another DCC controller to run just the pump as i already have one for my fan.

otherwise a mech one fromt the parts store will do just fine.

jerryD said:
if you really want an electric pump, then get one. i did and don't regret it. my car is like yours, basicly weekend warrior. i do drive mine to work couple times a week too. i have no problems with it at all. works like a mech pump, but it is electric. granted it is overkill, but i wanted to be a little different. i got the mezier(sp) 300 series. cost me $375 for it. unlike other elec pumps, this one you can still hook up your A/C and PS pump to it. i did have to grind the A/C bracket some, but nothing difficult. bolted right up and it comes with provisions for the heater core as well. another plus as to why i got this pump. right now i have it running off of 12v all the time with key on. when i get the cash, i'm gonna get another DCC controller to run just the pump as i already have one for my fan.

otherwise a mech one fromt the parts store will do just fine.
Did you notice any increase in power?

just as a word of caution, if you get a Summit Racing chrome water pump, the chrome will flake off in a year or so. All my chrome came off and I had to repaint it silver. It kinda pissed me off.

An electric water pump is a big loser as far as bang for the buck goes. I'd spend the money somewhere else. If you still plan on keeping ps and air you're not that serious about racing and that's totally cool. The added expense of a 200amp alt makes it out of the question. You don't even need the edelbrock pump. I had one and saw no difference in cooling. A better radiator would be the way to go. Do you at least have a 3 row? That would be a good place to start.