Electrical Problems--HELP!!!!

1992MustangGT

15 Year Member
Sep 6, 2008
Washington State
I'm trying to figure out some electrical problems on my friend's 1992 Mustang coupe. Car has a 2.3L 4 cylinder. Something is draining the battery, the fuel pump will not work and I can't get the computer to turn on when I attempt to read the codes. The battery is brand new; only 3 weeks old and the fuel pump is brand new also; only 1 week old. I attempted to read the codes on the computer with my scanner, but when I plugged it in, turned the key to the on position and turned on the scanner, the computer would not even come on. I tried the scanner on my 1992 Mustang GT 5.0 and it worked just fine, so I know the scanner is good.

Here's a few ideas I've been kicking around and need someone to help me out and tell me if I'm on the right track....

1) I'm wondering if the computer is bad and that's why the fuel pump won't come on???
2) Is there a way to test the computer to see if it's bad?
3) Could it be that the computer relay failed and that's why the computer won't come on?
4) If it is the computer relay, where is it located and is it possible to test the relay to see if it's malfunctioning?
5) The fuel pump relay could be bad as well, but that wouldn't explain why I can't read the codes on the computer.
6) I'd like to "reset" the fuel pump shutoff switch (enertia switch), but I don't know the procedure for doing so. How do you reset the fuel pump enertia switch?
7) What is killing the battery? I think there's more than one problem going on here. Something's drawing juice out of the battery. How do I figure out what it is? What could it be?

I really appreciate any and all ideas and suggestions. Please help me figure this out. Thanks.....

• Sponsors (?)