Electrical Smoke

FlyBy763

Apr 23, 2004
Palm Bay, FL
So I went to start my car today and all I got was a 'click' sound. Then smoke started comming out from the parking brake handle boot...the only wiring I have played with is the fuel pump, does some of the fuel pump wiring run under the center console? What could cause this? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It's prob a bad starter and if it starts cooking then it will come up through the trans tunnel up into the car through the shifter bezel. What else is happening to it when you try to crank it?

94TURBO5 O said:
It's prob a bad starter and if it starts cooking then it will come up through the trans tunnel up into the car through the shifter bezel. What else is happening to it when you try to crank it?

Nothing...just clicks...the battery has a charge, the fuel pump still turns on cuz you can hear it whine when I turn the key on... :(

94TURBO5 O said:
Starter brushes may be stuck so try tapping on it with a hammer and then start it.

nothin...does the same thing
It does make sense that is it the starter though cuz the longer you hold the key down, the more it smokes...and it does smoke if the key is just in the ACC position.

trace the source of the smoke. If you have to, get a friend to have their hand on the key while you look for it.

But you should be able to find it w/o releasing any more smoke, b/c you should see some burn marks somewhere.

Have a fire extinguisher on hand, SERIOUSLY. You don't want to lose a nice car over something stupid like fire.
Scott

i had the exact same thin happen to me rite after i installed my gauges cause i had my battery disconnected....make sure the battery terminal is ALL THE WAY DOWN cause if its not, the bendex on the starter will not get enuff current and it will click like that and smoke sometimes.......good luck man....probably want the old starter........