Emission Failed>>>>

cobra_fanatic said:
I'm going to have to agree with StangFreak32. Move to a nice redneck state like Missouri. I just had my 96 cobra inspected a week ago with my new forged engine and mac long tubes with an off-road H-pipe and no mufflers. The freakin ground was shaking and the guy never even looked under the car. Sometimes it's nice to live in the middle of no where.

did they pop the hood? if OH, gets emmisions i may have to put the EGR back on :D

• Sponsors (?)

I do have one little question for you guys, why is it that now that I have long tube headers, an o/r H-pipe and a set of 2 chamber flows, it seems to still be a little on the quiet side. Or am I just going deaf? not sure

Hey is it true that California is getting even tougher with the Emissions? My friend was telling me that there's people going around to peoples houses smogging cars and ****. He a guy we know got his car smogged out of no where and failed a couple days ago.

i havent heard of that. i do know that they have roadside smog machines that use infared signals(sorry dont know how they do it exactly) that detects HC, CO, CO2, O2 and NOx and then will take your cars picture if you have too high of an emissions level. then they send you a letter telling you to get your car smogged. if you do get pulled over for an emissions violation(cars too loud or you are driving a honda) you have to go to a referee who will do a complete inspection and will not "let it pass for a few extra bucks" because they are employees of the state. there is legislation to end the "rolling classic" program that allows cars to be exempt once they are 30 years old. they are freezing it at cars newer than 1976. there is also legislation that will require ALL cars on the road, including historics to pass smog for 1996+ standards. the state is slowly eliminating the "basic" areas which allow a test with a BAR90 without a dyno. santa barbara shops have to use the BAR97 5 gas analyzer currently and if the city gets any bigger they will require a dyno as well.
with the introduction of OBD3 eventually the state would like to require all new cars in CA to have onboard smog machines and if they pollute more than a certain level, or if they are tampered with the state will slowly disable the car (not allow WOT, and eventually not allow the car to start) until it is fixed by an approved shop. it totally blows.

Not to be a thread buster

Black2K1 said:
I just recently passed emissions with my prochamber. I did not think it was going to pass, but the shop never looked under the car. :shrug: I was just glad that I did not have to swap out the pipe for the stock one again.

2k1..I see you're from Raleigh too.. Do you know of any good shops where I can get a computer re-flash or performance tune?

Thanks in Advance.

Is there any way to drop the NOx reading on the car so i can pass emission? Is it illegal to drive the car if it has failed emission? the tags have expired but since i failed and i have 14 days can i drive the car for that 14 days without getting a ticket?

Thanks

bdcardinal said:
i havent heard of that. i do know that they have roadside smog machines that use infared signals(sorry dont know how they do it exactly) that detects HC, CO, CO2, O2 and NOx and then will take your cars picture if you have too high of an emissions level. then they send you a letter telling you to get your car smogged. if you do get pulled over for an emissions violation(cars too loud or you are driving a honda) you have to go to a referee who will do a complete inspection and will not "let it pass for a few extra bucks" because they are employees of the state. there is legislation to end the "rolling classic" program that allows cars to be exempt once they are 30 years old. they are freezing it at cars newer than 1976. there is also legislation that will require ALL cars on the road, including historics to pass smog for 1996+ standards. the state is slowly eliminating the "basic" areas which allow a test with a BAR90 without a dyno. santa barbara shops have to use the BAR97 5 gas analyzer currently and if the city gets any bigger they will require a dyno as well.
with the introduction of OBD3 eventually the state would like to require all new cars in CA to have onboard smog machines and if they pollute more than a certain level, or if they are tampered with the state will slowly disable the car (not allow WOT, and eventually not allow the car to start) until it is fixed by an approved shop. it totally blows.

Isn't that an invasion of privacy? What if someone doesn't want to drive the car on the street only the track. They still have this equipment that shuts their car down? Bunch of BS if you ask me. All i can say is hold on to your old vehicles cause they'll be worth alot more later on.

kirkyg