Engine Bay Washing

• Sponsors (?)

soak the whole thing in simple green, let sit for a while and then blast it with a good stream of water from a hose sprayer, the pressure washers seem a little strong for this to me. Since the coil on plug on 99 newer cars is sealed, all I ever cover is the Alternator. After I spray it down, I do go through all of the sensors which have gotten wet and spray dry these with a compressor. It is nice and easy, I would never do what I just described above to a 5liter car. it wouldnt start for a week

I'm really skeptical about hosing of the engine itself. I changed the plugs about a month ago and found water in the deep void where the plugs sit in the head of number 1 and 3 on the drivers side. Had to blow dry the water out and clean and dry the coil packs. The water was old and dirty so who knows how long it had been there. I wipe my engine bay down by hand every time the car gets washed with simple green automotive, then I armor all it down to a nice shine. Water and air can find it's way into things you'd never think they could.

Check your owner's manual. The owner's manual for my 02 GT specifically discusses washing the engine and engine bay and mentions what to watch out for. IIRC it doesn't even say to cover anything, just avoid spraying it directly. I just hose mine down with either the water hose at home or at the DIY carwash using the low pressure setting. I do it every month or so and my engine bay seems to keep pretty clean. Maybe not show car clean but good enough for me.

I pretty much do what you guys said...simple green, hose off engine bay, etc. Then I use CD-2 Engine Detailer. If works pretty well. Keeps engine looking like new. You can get it at Pep Boys, AutoZone or any of those type stores. I do cover up the alternator and belts...that is what the CD-2 directions say to do.

4.6modular said:
I'm really skeptical about hosing of the engine itself. I changed the plugs about a month ago and found water in the deep void where the plugs sit in the head of number 1 and 3 on the drivers side. Had to blow dry the water out and clean and dry the coil packs. The water was old and dirty so who knows how long it had been there. I wipe my engine bay down by hand every time the car gets washed with simple green automotive, then I armor all it down to a nice shine. Water and air can find it's way into things you'd never think they could.

I have to agree. Water gets by those coils. I've seen many check engine lights on because of it.