Engine Check Light

marvinmycat

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Don't hit the panic button, but don't disregard it, either.

It's a small rectangle hidden among the gauges clustered on the instrument panel behind the steering wheel. It flashes briefly when you turn the ignition on—along with other system checks like anti-lock brakes—to let you know the system is ready to perform its prescribed job.
After briefly flashing at start-up indicating all is well, it is blank and dormant as you drive happily on your way. Then one day, inexplicably, it glows yellow and warns, "Check Engine."

What do you check and why? The engine shows no obvious signs of anything except running down the road in quite contentment.

The Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board established regulations requiring on-board diagnostics systems on cars and light-duty trucks (pickups, vans and SUVs) beginning with the 1994 model year. All '96 and newer cars and trucks have a powerful computer which uses second generation on-board diagnostics, or OBDII, technology.

The purpose of the OBDII system is to ensure proper emission-control system operation for the vehicle's lifetime by monitoring emission related components and systems for deterioration and malfunction.

When the OBDII system determines that an emission problem exists, the computer illuminates the dashboard light indicating "Service Engine Soon" or "Check Engine" or displays an engine symbol. This light, usually yellow in color, serves to inform the driver that a problem has been detected and vehicle service is needed.

Warning signs
OBDII assesses engine misfire situations, the most severe of which indicates the possibility that the catalytic converter is in danger of overheating. When this occurs, the yellow "check engine" light will blink on and off.

Don't hit the panic button and stop the car when the yellow message starts flashing. However, it is important to reduce the speed of the vehicle, and take it to a dealership for service as soon as possible. The vehicle should not be driven long distances with the light flashing.

The system is also continuously checking information from the engine and transmission sensors against data stored in its memory. When one of hundreds of faults is found, the check engine light comes on and stays on. This can mean many things, from an oxygen sensor malfunction to a fouled spark plug.

The continuous light tells the driver that something is amiss, and to bring the vehicle in for service. This is not an emergency situation and it isn't necessary to immediately bring the car to the dealership. However, don't drive for more than a few days with the light on.

A not uncommon cause for the light to illuminate is a loose gas cap. Check to make sure it is tightened properly, and if that's the cause, the dashboard light will go out after several trips.

If the problem that caused the light to come on disappears after a few trips— perhaps a fouled spark plug has cleared—the OBDII computer will turn the light off. This is not an indication of a faulty system. In fact, the system is doing its job to verify that a problem existed and was caused by a temporary problem which has gone away. Your car needs no special attention unless the light comes on again.

Remote diagnoses
Telematics—navigation and video entertainment systems, satellite radio and wireless technology—has opened the door for remote vehicle diagnostics. If the "check engine" or other dashboard warning light appears, at the push of a button the motorist can request a diagnostic probe. An adviser can identify trouble codes for the vehicle's major operating systems and is able to detect the severity of the problem. If the vehicle needs immediate attention, roadside assistance can be dispatched. For less severe problems, an appointment with a dealership can be set up.

Telematics, like many new technologies, appeared first on luxury models, but is rapidly moving down to mainstream cars and trucks. Consumer and industry enthusiasts are sure these systems will eventually be as common as AM/FM audio systems.

The glitches that activate the "check engine" light are often nothing a driver can readily detect, but that doesn't mean everything is working properly. There can be a condition that wastes fuel, shortens engine life or could lead to expensive repairs if left unaddressed. And, since the condition is usually emission related, the level of pollutants coming from the tailpipe can soar.

So, if the check engine light comes on, don't hit the panic button, but don't disregard it, either.

• Sponsors (?)

MarvinMyCat said:
All '96 and newer cars and trucks have a powerful computer which uses second generation on-board diagnostics, or OBDII, technology.
1995 mustang... nice... so now if MY check engine light turns on i KNOW its a huge problem, lol
*Check engine light comes on* *Ghostalker remembers to pulls over (that was a close one) pops the hood and checks the engine* "Yup, its still there" *Ghostalker continues on his merry way*
It would suck to be motorvehicle-ignorant ='(

Ive been driving with my Check Engine light on for about a month now cuz I don't have the money at this time for repair. I got the codes pulled though. The obvious O2 sensor is malfuntioning, plus I may have a problem with my Mass Air Sensor and for some reason the OBDII system says my Mustang is running lean at times.

I do plan on getting it serviced as soon as I have some dinero.

Ghostalker said:
1995 mustang... nice... so now if MY check engine light turns on i KNOW its a huge problem, lol
*Check engine light comes on* *Ghostalker remembers to pulls over (that was a close one) pops the hood and checks the engine* "Yup, its still there" *Ghostalker continues on his merry way*
It would suck to be motorvehicle-ignorant ='(

i have a 94 mustang....and my mechanic says that my car must be some sort of factory freak because it has a plug under the dash, and the OBDII style plug and gives OBDII info, where as OBDI is under the hood, and doesnt give as much info.

Nice advice and very well written; but unfortunately not always practical when dealing with legendary Ford quality. My light came on, on the way home from the dealer, with 12 miles on the odometer. Brought the car to the Dealer at 100 miles and they changed an oxygen sensor and turned off the light . . no charge. It stayed off for all of 6 blocks, and then came back on again. I brought it back at 250 miles, and they changed the MAF sensor . . . again, no charge. This repair was more than twice as effective; the light stayed off for a whole mile, and then turned on again. Tried again at 500 miles . . . EGR sensor changed. This time the light turned back on again while pulling out of the Dealer’s parking lot.

So I have up, removed the cluster, and added a switch in series with the light so I could turn it off manually. It is annoying at night and I had been using a piece of cardboard tucked between the cluster and trim to block it. With my hidden switch, I can check the light every so often . . . it is always on.

At 6 months and 3000 miles, I decided to get a “second opinion” from a different Dealer. They proclaimed a faulty MAF, and offered to replace it (again) at a charge of $648 and change. It seems the way the Ford new car warranty works, only factory original parts installed at delivery are warranted for 3yrs/36K miles. Replacement parts (which are actually rebuilt parts according to the work order) replaced under warranty are only warranted for 3months/3000 miles. So a 5 month-old replacement MAF on a 6 month old car is no longer covered unless it causes the car to fail emissions.

Since changing the MAF had no beneficial effect the first time, there was no reason to anticipate anything different. I declined their generous offer (I can buy a MAF and change it myself for half the price). My light has been on since April of 2003. The engine runs fine and passes emissions (the 2nd dealer gave me a printout to prove it).

n0v8or said:
Nice advice and very well written; but unfortunately not always practical when dealing with legendary Ford quality. My light came on, on the way home from the dealer, with 12 miles on the odometer. Brought the car to the Dealer at 100 miles and they changed an oxygen sensor and turned off the light . . no charge. It stayed off for all of 6 blocks, and then came back on again. I brought it back at 250 miles, and they changed the MAF sensor . . . again, no charge. This repair was more than twice as effective; the light stayed off for a whole mile, and then turned on again. Tried again at 500 miles . . . EGR sensor changed. This time the light turned back on again while pulling out of the Dealer’s parking lot.

So I have up, removed the cluster, and added a switch in series with the light so I could turn it off manually. It is annoying at night and I had been using a piece of cardboard tucked between the cluster and trim to block it. With my hidden switch, I can check the light every so often . . . it is always on.

At 6 months and 3000 miles, I decided to get a “second opinion” from a different Dealer. They proclaimed a faulty MAF, and offered to replace it (again) at a charge of $648 and change. It seems the way the Ford new car warranty works, only factory original parts installed at delivery are warranted for 3yrs/36K miles. Replacement parts (which are actually rebuilt parts according to the work order) replaced under warranty are only warranted for 3months/3000 miles. So a 5 month-old replacement MAF on a 6 month old car is no longer covered unless it causes the car to fail emissions.

Since changing the MAF had no beneficial effect the first time, there was no reason to anticipate anything different. I declined their generous offer (I can buy a MAF and change it myself for half the price). My light has been on since April of 2003. The engine runs fine and passes emissions (the 2nd dealer gave me a printout to prove it).

that doesnt sound right, they cant refuse to fix something that is covered under warranty, that was already fixed under warranty by a different dealer....if that was the case there would be no need for the lemon law....getting the same exact thing fixed 3 times with out a resoultion of the problem. i would call that dealership back and talk to the service manager/general manager/owner, what ever you gotta do because i think that of you do take it in for emmissions they will automaticly fail you if the check engine light is on regardless of whether or not it actually does

lol, in CT, the entire emissions place thing got shut down for accepting so many bribes, so to fix the problem they made all of the high end shops around inspection offices... yeah it doesnt really help anything, with my connections i am not affraid of getting an off-road pipe to replace my battered cats... pay em off