Engine Coolant and Antifreeze Which ones should I use?

bighank

Sep 1, 2006
Maryland
In both the 2005 Mustang Workshop Manual and 2002 Taurus Workshop Manual the recommended coolant is Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant VC-7-A meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1 (yellow color). It says not to mix coolants and to use the same coolant as the one drained from the cooling system.

I want to drain and flush both systems and add a 50/50 mixture of coolant to each car.
What commercially available coolant (not FORD) can I use to insure boilover prevention, freeze prevention and corrosion resistance. Is Prestone, Dupont, or the normally available national brands sufficient? I don't think that I have to use the Ford coolant at inflated prices.

I'm avoiding DexCool as I know that many GM vehicles use it but there are class action suits now ongoing because not draining it for 5 years or 150000 miles can be dangerous to your engine's health.

What do you recommend and why?
BIGHANK

• Sponsors (?)

Ford Antifreeze/coolant

My local Ford dealer offered me the VC7 Gold at $17.50 a gallon. Lowest price he could sell it for. Lincoln/Mercury dealer across the street sold it at $11.50 a gallon, and the invoice showed it at $14.95 List / $11.50 Net. Apparently Ford supplies are cheaper at Lincoln Mercury dealers or the Ford dealer wanted to gouge me $6.00 a gallon. The Premium gold was VC7B which the parts man said superceded VC7A. Neither dealer said they had the Ford flush and used aftermarket flushes. I told them that on my Corvette GM recommends only draining and flushing with clear water so as not to damage the aluminium engine and radiator. Any thoughts on this? BIGHANK:flag: