Engine is in! AKA Help I have clearance problems!

Leezure

May 10, 2005
Well the engine install went perfectly last night. Here's a link to the picture.

http://mustangrenovation2006.shutte...33bc2314568&auto=0&idx=56&m=1&d=1144174613701

but when I went to install my valve covers I noticed that they touch the brake vacuum booster.

Here's another link (I can't figure out how to insert images)

http://mustangrenovation2006.shutte...33bc2314568&auto=0&idx=60&m=1&d=1144173769564

This will be a problem when the engine torques over so... my question is... can I clearance the booster (bend, hammer, dent etc.)? What is inside that thing? Is it just an accumulator or does it have working internal parts like a diaphragm? Any help will be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Ouch, that sucks. I don't know what to tell ya, other than that I have about an inch and a half clearance with Ford Racing VC's...I guess if nothing else works out, you know those will fit.

Do you have the transmission installed yet? It looks like you do, but I just wanted to make sure because that will pick up the rear of the engine a little bit.

I can get the vc's clearanced like I did for the alternator but is an involved welding process. The tranny is in so the engine is sitting in the proper position.

I'm going to look into the Cobra booster and see where that takes me. I think as a last resort I will change out the vc's but I sure would like to make these fit!

Now... I am working on the next clearance issue... getting the Kooks headers to fit around the X brace.

The Cobra booster isn't any smaller. Which motor mounts are you using. With my 408 I never had clearance issues with the brake booster. The only issue I had was when removing the head on the drivers side I had to remove all the studs to get the head to come off. I used TFS high ports and Ford Racing tall valve covers.

I'm using Stock (new) convertible motor mounts. The engine seems to be sitting in the right position. The VC's are tall and square which puts them in the wrong place. I managed to bend the outside ring of the booster and cleared one place it was hitting.

If the Cobra booster is no smaller then I will try and dent the area in the picture to clear the bolt guide. I'm also going to trim that guide as far down as possible.

I took the X brace off and installed the headers. I've figured out Rubiks (sp) cubes in less time! What a puzzle. I'll only need to cut and paste on the X brace to get the clearance needed. Should be a straight forward job.

I'll let you know what I find.

do you have subframe connectors (hopefully full length ones if you have a vert)? If so, you should be able to get rid of that X brace and just run the single brace that's under the pan

No sub frame connectors yet but I imagine that I will need them once I start leaning on the engine a bit. For now I am cutting and welding the X frame to fit.

Here's a pic of the valve cover after I had it clearanced for the alternator. My buddy is a whiz with aluminum so the end result was great.

P1010128.JPG

I still haven't tackled the booster but I plan to put a dent in it tonight. I can't use dropped motor mounts because that would throw the geometry of the headers off causing larger clearance problems.

Here's a pic of the engine as it sits today.

P1010130.JPG

It looks like someone came to the conclusion that the cobra brake booster is no smaller. I honestly do not know, but I do know there is a difference betweent he stock GT brake booster and the COBRA brake booster. Just don't know what...I have a 94 cobra though, would you like me to go to storage and check it out for you, and measure it?

Byt he way that setup looks mean man. Very clean and professional looking! Good job! It will run like a striped aped I am sure!

yeah the setup looks awesome.......

Juiced... if you wouldn't mind measuring the outside diameter of it, i will right it down and keep that info somewhere and even compare it to mine.. i always though they were smaller.

jason

Thanks guys. I too would like to know if the booster is smaller. I was able to gain clearance by laying a 1/2 inch socket extension across the booster where my problem area was and tapping it with a 5 lb hammer. It made just enough room for the engine to torque over.

Hopefully I didn't damage anything internally but I'll have to wait until I get it started to find out. The Cobra booster may be the way to go.

Leezure said:
Here's a pic of the valve cover after I had it clearanced for the alternator. My buddy is a whiz with aluminum so the end result was great.

P1010130.JPG

Wow that looks great :nice: . Is your buddy for hire? :D If hes willing to do the same thing to my passenger side VC shoot me a pm on a price. Thanks alot.

Engine bay looks great BTW