Engine price?

dawtips

Oct 4, 2005
I just received a quote from DSS Racing for a 12-secondish car. They have quoted me about $5500 for it. I am not looking to build my own engine, crate is a must. So is this worth the price and will it put out the performance I want on my '69 stang? Thanks!

PRO BULLET FT/IN: 347 cid short block for use with most inline valve cylinder heads andwill accept large cams and large valves. Balanced to racing tolerances and blueprinted,forged DSS Pro Series Pistons, assembled in a Level 10 CNC Block with the billet aluminumMain Support System installed with custom ARP main studs.

SPECS: BLOCK: Level 10 CNC Block- deck equalized and squared, deck plate bored andhoned in CV616 with sub 10 micron filtered man-845 honing oil, and numerous other CNCoperations, RODS: Forged 5.400" Full Floating I-Beams with ARP bolts, CRANK: 3.400"stroke, PISTONS: Forged Pro-X # 4300 (FT/IN -3cc), RINGS: Moly E-458K, RODBEARINGS: Tri-Metal CB-634P, MAIN BEARINGS: Tri-Metal MS-590P CAMBEARINGS: Tri-Metal CC4402,599.952,599.95Track Heat longbl...LONGBLOCK UPGRADE: Final assembly of a shortblock with heads, rockers, and all othernecessaryparts listed below to complete the long block assembly. This critical step in theassemblyprocess is the keyto long life and maximum power. Checking and correcting rockerarm geometry, adjusting pushrod length, and setting lifter pre-load is very time consuming butpays big dividends in power and longevity. These often overlooked steps are included in thislongblock assembly.

PARTS: CYLINDER HEADS: Trick Flow Track Heat CAMSHAFT: Ford Racing TIMINGCHAIN: Pro Gear 3 Position Double Roller 430HDSTK LIFTERS: Ford Racing RETAININGHARDWARE: Hydraulic (when necessary) PUSHRODS: 4130 .080" Wall Seamless HEADBOLTS: ARP 8740 Hex Head Bolts HEAD GASKETS: Fel Pro Graphite 8548 PT2 ROCKER ARMS: DSS Aluminum Roller Rockers T-WASHERS: 1/2" to 7/16" reducerbushings for cylinder heads (where applicable)

Upgrade to premium hyd roller camshaft listed below
Comp Cams XE274HR Camshaft (.555"/.565" 224°/232°@.050" 112°LSA 2200-6200RPM)

• Sponsors (?)

I got the exact same quote from them. They also mentioned the 331 combo. Needless to say, I'm still trying to calculate whether its cheaper to buy parts individually, and then take it to a shop and have it put together...Or drop a huge lump sum like that on DSS or the other builders.

I have been looking at them for quite some time, and can definately say that when the money is available, I will be buying one of there motors. Start pricing it out and it adds up real quick....$1100+ for heads, 1200+for rotating assembly, block and machine work 600+, roller rockers 200+, roller cam and lifters 300, plus all the other little things that add up that other engine builders dont do, and the peace of mind that everything was balanced and assembled by a professional, seems like a good price to me.

ever consider buying gently used parts? Thats how I have been able to build my 331. If I bought it all new, it would have cost me over $5000. Right now, I have about $3000 in it and it is complete...sitting on the engine stand.

Roller block: $100
Cast Crank: $125
Ross Pistons: $150, yes, $150
Eagle H beam rods: $150 (got them in combo with the pistons from a friend
TFS TW heads that have some work I did on the exhuast side: $850 (with upgraded springs
Machine work: $250
SFI Flexplate: $50
Balancer: $78
Noisy gear drive: $100
Scorpion Rockers: $115
Pushrods: $100
Head Gasksets: $100
Misc gaskets: $75
oil pan, pump, pickup: $150
Fuel Pump: $40
RPM intake: $95
xe274hr cam: $135
cam bearings, rings, main bearings: $100
Bolts/Studs: $100
Valve covers: Polished cobra: $75
Freeze plugs: $16

Pbum5 - Ya, I found out about them as well. For 3700 it looks like a damn nice block.

Max Power - Someone else mentioned that to me too. Have any suggestions of where I can get a 351 crate for $5k or so?

allcarfan - Nice work! But I don't have the time nor the patience to build my own engine.

....neither do I....

Haha. I made three trips to the machine shop that is an hour and a half away. It took a few months to get everything together, but because of me CONSTANTLY changing my mind, it has taken longer than it should to be built.

Ya thats what I see myself doing... I would much rather buy my hp/torque and not have to spend so much time thinking about it

Plus I have never built an engine before, so I would hate to have my daily driver out of commision because I missed something