engine shakes for a few seconds....

1994gtmustang5.0

Nov 25, 2012
i have a 94 gt...5.0. just recently my engine started shaking for a few seconds when its idoling down...right near 1rpm. but, only for a second or two. changed the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor and it got better but still does it. when it drops below 1rpm to its normal idoling position its fine....but, it seems like that one spot it shakes for a second. any ideas? kinda hard to explain. like....in the morning when u first start ur car how it idols a little higher cause the engine is cold...it shakes then, but after its fine when it its back to its normal idoling. hard to explain lol. jus seems like that one spot (near 1rpm).

• Sponsors (?)

It's VERY common for the harmonic balancers to go out in the 94-95 GTs. (and before they completely separate completely, they vibrate)

You could give us a call at 561.588.6630 and see if we have a spacer combo that would work with your SN95. We carry harmonic balancers, but I'm not certain that we have the correct pulley spacing for you. Our tech guys can get you squared away.

Before assuming it might be the HB check to see if there is any rubber protruding from the inner and outer rings on the engine side and whether or not there is any wobble as it turns. You might also remove the belt and see if there is any movement. If any of these three conditions are present the balancer needs to be replaced. Prices will range from about $50 - $250. Price goes up with quality. You shouldn't need a spacer. The HB for these models should be engine specific. A failed balancer HB can destroy an engine fairly quickly if not replaced.