Engineering whiz question.?!

Steve491

Apr 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Here's the problem I'm having. My latest car (2008 GT/CS) came with an aftermarket trailer hitch installed. I know, what would you want to pull with a Mustang. Anyway, I removed it while removing the axleback to install the new ones and I need to get the bolts out of the frame rail. A web search revealed that installing the hitch required a "bolt tether" that pullet the bolts thru a hole on the bottom of the boxed frame up thru the hitch holes. Even if I had such a tool it wouldn't work in reverse. At first I was thinking of a large magnet to drag along the frame rail to the hole and let the bolts drop out, kinda like an sixth grade science experiment. Do you think this would work or is there too much metal in the frame? The old science experiment was graphite filings on a piece of paper or a steel ball on a wooden table. Any ideas would be appreciated because I want to hear the new exhaust.

• Sponsors (?)

Interesting problem. I think the best way is to get a small hole saw and put a hole in the bottom of the frame to let the bolts drop out. If you are concerned about weakening of the frame, have a good machinist weld the hole over.

Take a small magnet, attach it to some baling wire, thread it into the original holes from reading the instructions and fish the bolts and square washers out. Takes some work but can be done.

As to why a hitch.....I carry a bike rack for my wife's wheel chair for days we are at all day car shows and such as she cannot do a whole day of walking. I actually tow a light trailer also as it aids in being able to purchase larger items when needed and not have to borrow a truck/pay extra insurance/rent something and the car handles it just fine. Some even tow a trailer with drag tires and wheels.

To each his own on the hitch.....I have had them on several Mustangs/Cougars/and many other cars.

Coat hanger with a small magnet taped to the end worked fine, but it took a little while to get 4 bolts and 4 washers.

Didn't think about a bike rack. I guess that would be a good idea vs some kind of trunk mounted cattle catcher.

Thanks for the ideas.