Evap Canister Purge?? Code P1443

Barroness

Oct 10, 2013
I have a 98 V6. 2 nights ago my check engine light came on and its throwing code P1443 " Evap Canister Purge valve mechanical fault or VMV"
"Detected a fuel tank pressure change greater than a minus 7 inches of H2O in 30 seconds with purge less than 0.02lbs per minute probable cause EVAP pressure sensor. Blocked hose between purge valve and FTP sensor. EVAP purge valve stuck closed"

My car threw this same code about two months ago. A family friend said it was probably the gas cap so I bought a new one and the engine light went away until now. Before I take it into a shop I have a couple of questions..

What the heck is exactly going on with this??? Is there an easy way to fix it? How do I fix it? Am I ruining my car in anyway by driving it with this light on? What negative effects will the canister purge have on the car?

This whole issue is freaking me out.
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The only thing I can think of...go under the back ot the car and look at the filler neck from the tank to the gas cap. You will see a hose that goes to a connection on the filler neck. Make sure that hose is connected. That is the only thing I can think of. If you're handy with tools and have a jack with jack stands or a ramp, then you might wanna just drop the tank yourself and see whats going on. Its an easy job.