Exhaust/Catback w/ Classic Muscle Car Sound

apk1971

Jul 28, 2003
Upstate NY
I know, I know, another exhaust thread. I tried every combination of terms within the search function with poor results. I have also litened to a lot of clips on www.mustangexhaust.com. What I would like is a comparison to stock, since I know what that sounds like... Anyway...

What I was looking for: I am looking for a Catback system with a classic muscle car deep rumble. I am NOT looking for that exotic car or ricer buzz. I would like it mild during idle and deep when you got on the gas. I want a louder than stock, but not obnoxious sound. I do not want to hear drone. I have stock gears and a stock H and manifolds. I may change to an MRT catted H later. I would like a 2 1/2" inlet with a 3 1/2" - 4" outlet (EDIT: Tailpipe).

What I was considering: I was looking at 1) MRT catback, 2) Borla/Steeda catback, 3) Borla Stinger or other recommendations.

I have not heard a lot of clips of the MRT, so I am not sure what they sound like. I like the sound of the Steeda/Borla catback. They seem to rumble real good, but am not clear on the difference from stock. Are they much louder? Is the difference noticable? The Borla Stingers I have heard have an exotic car buzz and may be too loud/obnoxious.

How about some other suggestions, sound clips? What does everyone have out there? Do the sound like a classix muscle car?

I am looking for a lot of suggestions please...

Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

I have a Mac Prochamber with the Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, but it has a real bad drone on the highway. Since you dont want the drone try the Borla/Steeda, Bassani, or something similar. If you get a h-pipe or a prochamber you will have more of the muscle car sound rather than the exotic sound of most x-pipe systems.

Here is a site that has a few different combos to listen to:
http://users.ev1.net/~spreadman/Pages/media.html

02mingreyGT said:
:eek: I doubt you will be able to find a muffler with those dimensions and I dont even know if it would fit over your axels. It really wouldnt help your performance much over regular 2 1/2" piipes either :shrug:

That should be tailpipe... Sorry for the confusion...

A simple solution for you, to keep it at a very respectable tone and such, just weld in a pair of flows. It'll give you pretty much the sound you're looking for while at the same time not costing you a ton of money.

Mac Catback is the way to go. They have 3.5" tips available. Very slight drone in the 1800-2000 RPM range, but none when in 5th gear and cruising on the highway. Sounds awesome when you really get on it. :D

Redfire03GT said:
A simple solution for you, to keep it at a very respectable tone and such, just weld in a pair of flows. It'll give you pretty much the sound you're looking for while at the same time not costing you a ton of money.
iagree.gif
Yep, Flows are the defination of the classic mustang musclecar sound. And as Redfire03GT noted, you can save a bunch by just having you local muffler shop weld a pair in for ya. (We paid about $40 labor)
Still, I like the full cat back on my 02, but without a 2.5" midpipe, the advantage, of a full catback over weld ins, is minimal. But a midpipe is my next upgrade.

i have the flowmater force II cat back and stock H-pipe. idle and crusing iits very quite with no drone at all. when you get into it its louder than stock but not to loud. its almost too quite. when i put the prochamber on it, it should be perfett

If you want a really deep idle get the Flowmaster American Thunder catback and the MAC O/R H-pipe. I love my idle I have muslce car people come up and compliment my exhaust. The flows are a must that is what gives you the deep sound that u want. The MAC O/R H-pipe will make it even more deeper but when u get on it with the MAC O/R H-pipe on there it is loud. Not high pitched loud or anything but a deep loud. If you want muslce car sound forget anything having to do with magnaflow, maganpacks, bassani. Stick with Flowmasters, MAC, or Borla those are the only catbacks that will give you the muscle car sound. Also for the muslce car sound stay away from X-pipes. I must admit some X-pipes are pretty deep and do sound good but none of them will ever be able to match the sound of an O/R H-pipe. Also get some Ceramic Coated Long Tube headers that will also make it louder and deeper.

if you want true classic mustang sound youd be looking for a set of glasspack resontaors and a muffler type cross over. in whats available today youd be looking at a mac prochamber and glasspacks,magnapacks,slp,or dynomax race bullets.

kirkyg said:
flowmaster ameican thunder catback + prochamber midpipe...its as 'classic' as it gets.

kirkyg

I totally agree. If the prochamber was offered in a catted version, I would have this instead of my catted MRT h-pipe. However, I believe I have another very good "classic" mustang rumble combo. I currently have MRT's catted H-pipe along with deltaflow 2-chambers clamped into the stock catback (yes, clamped.) The sound is awesome, but it does drone and it's fairly loud. However, I love the drone, and with my 4.10s I'm well past the "drone zone" on the highway while cruising at 74 mph.

My only advice is to just get the entire catback - it's not that much more than two mufflers and the cost to weld them in.

BMan5150 said:
I totally agree. If the prochamber was offered in a catted version, I would have this instead of my catted MRT h-pipe. However, I believe I have another very good "classic" mustang rumble combo. I currently have MRT's catted H-pipe along with deltaflow 2-chambers clamped into the stock catback (yes, clamped.) The sound is awesome, but it does drone and it's fairly loud. However, I love the drone, and with my 4.10s I'm well past the "drone zone" on the highway while cruising at 74 mph.

My only advice is to just get the entire catback - it's not that much more than two mufflers and the cost to weld them in.
But alas, Mac now offers a catted ProChamber. :)

Spreadman said:
But alas, Mac now offers a catted ProChamber. :)

Didn't know that. . . can't say I don't like the MRT catted h-pipe though. I don't even have MIL eliminators yet I've yet to get a check engine light. The same can not be said for the Bassani catted X pipe (at least not on most cars I've seen this used on.)

I'd love to hear the catted MAC prochamber with a set of flows. I think that would be killer, but it also probablyu wouldn't be loud enough for most people's taste.