Exhaust Leak... Ooooooh no!

jaketuff

Apr 29, 2003
Westchester, NY
Big deal right... Okay, I got the leak around the header-head gasket on one side of the pots. Wondering if sealing it on a 5 Liter would make a heck of a diofference in power. The bolts are on there pretty solid thanks to oxidizing of the metal - rust.

The gaskets on that side are like toilet paper from a prior owner. It sputters kinda loud outta two ports accelerating, and at idle. Sounds cammed WOOHOO!

*Would I gain anything IYHO's from sealing the botch up?

JOUT

• Sponsors (?)

jaketuff said:
Big deal right... Okay, I got the leak around the header-head gasket on one side of the pots. Wondering if sealing it on a 5 Liter would make a heck of a diofference in power. The bolts are on there pretty solid thanks to oxidizing of the metal - rust.

The gaskets on that side are like toilet paper from a prior owner. It sputters kinda loud outta two ports accelerating, and at idle. Sounds cammed WOOHOO!

*Would I gain anything IYHO's from sealing the botch up?

JOUT

Depending on how bad your leak is you can lose torque. Remember in an exhaust system torque is created by backpressure after the collector. Also if you get some cold air rushing back into the exhaust chamber when you have a hot engine you can warp your valve!

I found that there was actually a bolt missing on the head... Dur... last one on the header near the firewall. Gotta love such BS.

Got all the rusty SOB's outta there. I am off to get new rotors, pads, header bolts at the speed shop, and some gasket maker.

OUT