Explain why this happened

bamagrad03

Feb 19, 2004
Okay I was riding around town last night and I ran across a fairly new Lightning. He said all he had was a chip. We ran a couple of times from about a 20-30 mph roll and he walked me pretty bad each time. By 3-4 car lengths.

But I have run a few lightnings from a stop and eat them up pretty easily. I have a 2000 gt auto with 4.10s. Is it the supercharger in the truck from the roll that eats me up so bad? What gives?

• Sponsors (?)

You have to realize that the supercharger on a lightning is a roots style supercharger. The torque and power is more instant than with a centrifugal supercharger which takes time to wind up. Thus, when he hits that gas he's basically got instant power. However, your 4.10's should of still help you out somewhat.

Perhaps this guy had more done to his car than just a chip. He could also have a smaller pulley on that roots supercharger and he might be making a few more psi points and thus more power.

1of3901SpringGT said:
Even with the 4.10 gear he should eat you up from a launch. Lightnings have a ton of torque.

Yeah but every Lightning I've run from a stop had real trouble spinning. They all lay about 20 dollars worth of rubber on the the street before they get going.

I'd put my money on the fact that he was already moving, from a dead stop they will spin like crazy. My friend has a lightning and from a light I walked him by about 3 or 4 cars, then we did it again from 20 and i managed to stay pretty even, I had him by maybe half a car.

Dark Knight GT said:
My brother has whipped the azz off multiple lightnings. He only has a 01 automatic GT w/ 3.73 gears and a few bolt ons. They are NOT that fast.

if mid 13's stock isn't fast, especially compared to the GT's, then yeah, it isn't that fast.

a chip alone can add a significant amount of power on Lightnings. also, your automatic may not have kicked down to 1st gear. if you started in 2nd, you are starting low in the powerband. and as we all know, the lightning is always in it's powerband.

Giving a force inducted car a good tune could add a significant amount of power all by itself.

If all he has was that chip, those taillights will look 10 times smaller if he puts a pulley and a retune in it.

DBMSTNG said:
if mid 13's stock isn't fast, especially compared to the GT's, then yeah, it isn't that fast.

a chip alone can add a significant amount of power on Lightnings. also, your automatic may not have kicked down to 1st gear. if you started in 2nd, you are starting low in the powerband. and as we all know, the lightning is always in it's powerband.

I'm not saying that a lightning isnt "quick", especially compared to a realitvely stock GT. However, they're not exactly "fast" either. If you ask me, either this guy got off to a slow start in his GT or this guy in the lightning had something else done to his car. Probably a smaller pulley as I stated above.