F-Body Owner Considering 05 Stang

kizersoze

Oct 21, 2004
Dallas, TX
I must say the new mustang looks unbelievable. I'm currently driving a 2001 WS6 Trans Am and got it for its unmistakeable looks and of course power but I have the new car bug ever since I saw the 05 Stang. I've always liked the stang just never thought that it had that "unique" look I was looking for but that has severly changed with the new model. While it will be difficult to part with my TA if I decide to make the move I think the bang for the buck on the new 05 is great, too bad gm/pontiac doesn't have anything to compete with Ford's revitalized mustang (yea...who's gonna buy the GTO at the price their asking, doesn't even look that great).

Couple of questions regarding the mustang and the purchase process.

1) If the pricing were right, would you buy off the lot or order your car? I'm uncertain here as since availability is limited I'd be afraid to get in a mustang thats been test driven, and possibly driven hard by potential buyers.

2) I'm not upside down on my TA, and with the trade in and the down payment I can offer I'd actually be reducing my monthly payment. Do dealerships/salepersons tend to work more at moving the car when a substantial down payment can be made? Or to put it another way, bringing cash to the table does that help grease the wheels? Is there any incentive to the dealership when there are down payments involved?

3) I've seen a couple of posts on the forum about people being able to get the new stang close or at invoice, but, what was the walk out price? Or, what is the typical TTL on these cars? I've estimated 1600 in TX, is that about right?

4) Whats the standard warranty on the car....3 yr / 36000 ?

5) I've never ordered a car before, whats the typical wait time...2, 3 months?

Today I'm gonna try to get around to a dealership and test drive the car and get some pictures and get some quotes on my car as well. Thanks in advance for any replies.

kizersoze

• Sponsors (?)

If a car on a dealer's lot does not have many miles on it, there really isn't any difference between ordering and buying off the lot. Just don't get a car that has more than 50 - 100 miles on it.

Most dealers don't care about a big down payment nor do they really want to sell cars for cash. The more they finance, the more they make off the financing part.

Most dealers like trade ins, if your car is clean and in good condition with not too many miles. A dealer will usually make $2,000 profit re-selling a trade in, more than they'll make selling a new car for cash.

You should be able to answer the TTL question better than me as I don't live in TX so I have no idea what your sales tax and registration fees are. Where I live you only pay sales tax on the difference between your trade in and the new car price, don't know if TX does the same.

Warranty is 36mo / 36K

Typical wait is 6-8 weeks for a FoMoCo product. However Ford has already taken orders for 38,000 '05 Stangs. So I'd guess that the wait will be more like 12 weeks (at least for a GT) right now.

See the other topics about buying a new car here on StangNet, but I would advise you to know exactly what model and options you want and find the invoice price before you start negotiating with a dealer. You can get all that info. on ford.com. Select Ford, cars, mustang, build my mustang. You can also search for inventory, although right now the inventory search seems to be showing cars that have not yet arrived at the dealers.

You wanna trade a ws6 for an '05 GT......are you smokin somethin?? The ws6 is a rare car....one of the most badass cars on the road, in a couple months you'll be driving a cookie cutter car that everybody and their momma has. Your Ws6 also has 50 more hp and a t56!!!

kizersoze,

This is a quote I have in Houston, Tx. for
GT Deluxe with the following options:
44L 5-Speed Automatic
Standard Wheels
K Leather Seating Surfaces
18G IUP
14A Active Anti-Theft System
17L Locking Lug Nuts
13D Spoiler Delete
Sonic Blue/Dark Charcoal

MSRP is 27,440.00

Selling price of car ==$ 25,851.00
Title and Lic. Reg fees= $ 197.80
State Sales Taxes 6.25%= $1,615.69
Vehicle inventory Tax $58.16
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Giving you a grand total of $27,722.65
Figure in your AQHA rebate $500.00
Giving you a balance $27,222.65

Just a Note: I'd keep the WS6, unless there is something you are not telling us about the car :rolleyes:

mattkimsey said:
You wanna trade a ws6 for an '05 GT......are you smokin somethin?? The ws6 is a rare car....one of the most badass cars on the road, in a couple months you'll be driving a cookie cutter car that everybody and their momma has. Your Ws6 also has 50 more hp and a t56!!!

well, you have to understand that not everybody is a car collector, i just keep a car for 5 years, i enjoy the heck of it, but i just sell them after 5 years, maybe less if i really like the new product. so far, i'm in love with the mach 1, i'm coming from a 99 camaro, and so far, i never got a car like the mach, but, as soon as the new cobra goes to the dealers, i have to have one, and the mach would be gone :flag:

mach1dsg said:
well, you have to understand that not everybody is a car collector, i just keep a car for 5 years, i enjoy the heck of it, but i just sell them after 5 years, maybe less if i really like the new product. so far, i'm in love with the mach 1, i'm coming from a 99 camaro, and so far, i never got a car like the mach, but, as soon as the new cobra goes to the dealers, i have to have one, and the mach would be gone :flag:
I can understand going from a limited edition Mach with 320hp to a even more limited edition '06 Cobra with 400+ hp. I can't understand going from a limited WS6 with 350hp that looks awesome to a bland everybody has one '05 GT that cost more. If the WS6 has a boatload of miles or has been wrecked or somethin then I could understand.

mattkimsey said:
I can understand going from a limited edition Mach with 320hp to a even more limited edition '06 Cobra with 400+ hp. I can't understand going from a limited WS6 with 350hp that looks awesome to a bland everybody has one '05 GT that cost more. If the WS6 has a boatload of miles or has been wrecked or somethin then I could understand.

That is exactly what I am thinking. I have been wanting a classic style car and looks of the new stang fit the bill. But everybody will have them in a few months. I think the projected production for the 2005MY is 150,000. How many WS6's were produced?

While the WS6 is a great car, there are nuiances with any car. For the cost of the car there are have always been things that bother me about the car. The plastic interior is horrible, just horrible for the price. For any other LS1'ers out there, the engine in these cars are known for oil consumption, and mines no exception. Good God, could the doors be any bigger and swing out any further? Handling, not that great...you would have to do some aftermarket stuff to make her handle pretty good. Mines completely stock so now i'm used to it, but it could be better. The leather seats, not the greatest. Also legroom is a little bit of an issue, especially on the passenger side where theres a hump in the floor...my wife hates road trips in the car. Don't get me wrong, i've loved that car and she's been a garage queen but I've never been happy with the fit & finish that GM put into the product. Its amazing to me that such newer cars and less expensive cars can have such good fit & finish and that there is such attention to detail, this is something the camaro and trans am lacked. I'm not worried about the loss of power and it shouldn't be that noticeable...I'll probably lose about 20hp but i'm not a very aggresive driver....don't get me wrong, there is plenty of fun in my car just not abusive fun. I think for me the thing I'll miss the most is the T-Tops...but when I think about it I don't really use it that much as weather in TX isn't always permitting. She's black exterior with black interior and I must say, I'll never make that mistake again. Black is so hard to keep clean, and its not keeping it clean that bothers me, but the maintenance to keep the black...well...black. Rock chips, water stains, swirls....black is difficult but has taught me a lot about paint and how to keep it looking good.

In the end, I've always loved mustangs and knew I would always get one, and once I saw the 05 i knew it wouldn't be long. I also the type of person that likes to get a new car every 4 or 5 years, and this move for me is a no brainer. With my trade in and what i think my down payment will be (money that was to be used to pay off my car shortly) I'll be reducing my monthly payment, expected to be around 150 a month for a new car, new warrenty, great looking new car, still powerfull car and all the perks that come with it. No doubt, i'll miss my car but I can't wait to get the 05 stang....wish the wife would let me have both but there is no way.

kizersoze - It sounds like you've logically thought this out. You're making the right decision. In the past, I made the mistake of keeping a couple old performance cars a few too many years. They ended up being total garage queens that I'd only drive a couple thousand miles a year. Something was always torn apart for repair or upgrade. And even when they were put together and running they were too much of a PITA to take on long trips.

As cool as your WS-6 is, it's quirks are wearing on you. A 2005 Mustang GT will be a FAR more practical car which means you'll drive it a lot more and get your money's worth out of it. Plus if your wife is happier too, that's priceless.

matt is totally wrong

matt that car is a loser from the get go. it will not have any collector factor to it,,, poor workmanship, squirly looks to say the least and just not worth anything,, thats why it was discontinued,,, the mustang is a totally different story,,, for many who remember how cool the ones in the sixties were, and how much fun,, this new car is a throwback that is actually done well, unlike the attempt on the new thunderbird.... there are going to be tons of cool things guys will be able to add to this car, and tons of customizing . so the car will be very individual,, even though they will sell tons,,, back in the sixties they sold so many,, but they kept coming out will fantastic variations of it,,, gt350, gt500,, shelby etc... the firebird is just junk,,,, ford finally smartened up and built some quality into it also,, unlike the firebird,,,,, the mustang not only appeals to baby boomers all over again,, but also young people,,,, its a major hit,,,

kizersoze said:
1) If the pricing were right, would you buy off the lot or order your car? I'm uncertain here as since availability is limited I'd be afraid to get in a mustang thats been test driven, and possibly driven hard by potential buyers.

I always order my new cars. IMHO, it is just too much money to spend, and not get exactly what you want down to every little detail. I think that once the new factory is running full, it would not be very difficult to order a new one and get it in a reasonable, normal, time.

I have had two Firdbirds, including the last one with the WS6 package (wow, what a difference from the first one without). I "switched" to Mustangs and I have never been sorry. Let me add, that I loved my Firdbirds too. They were great cars. It was just that the Mustang offered more of what I was looking for, at the time.

I always order my new cars. IMHO, it is just too much money to spend, and not get exactly what you want down to every little detail. I think that once the new factory is running full, it would not be very difficult to order a new one and get it in a reasonable, normal, time.
I could not agree more. Order it, and get exactly what you want, and instruct the dealer NOT to dealer-prep it so that you have the opportunity and the joy of unwrapping and cleaning a factory-fresh car (one of the perks of buying new), and you don't give the dealership's "detail shop" hacks an opportunity to totally crap up the car with vinyl protectant jizz applied with a mop EVERYWHERE, and dealer stickers and emblems and license plate frames drilled into your bumper :rolleyes:. Tell them IN WRITING that if they touch the car with their "prep" team, they keep it.

Furthermore, the dealership doesn't care if you put a dime down on the car. Even if you finance the whole damn thing, they get a check from the bank or financing company for the full purchase price. They get their cash up front, any way you cut it. Not many dealers finance in-house, even when they insinuate in their ads that they do. They farm it all out. Even Ford Credit is a seperate financing arm that cuts the dealership a check for the entire purchase price. So, IN SHORT, it's all the same to the dealer, they don't care how large your down-payment is, because they'll get paid the balance in full by the financing institution. A trade is a good thing, because they will try to turn a profit on a good clean trade. But beware, they play games where they'll cut you a good trade allowance, but screw you on the purchase price of the new car. Or vice versa, they'll offer you a killer deal on the purchase price, like $2,000 under retail, but they'll just submarine you by offering you a trade allowance that's $2K less than what it rightfully should have been. It's a numbers game, that if you're halfway bright and aware and homeworked going in, you can nip right in the bud by dictating YOUR OWN deal parameters and negotiating from there.

RICKS said:
Furthermore, the dealership doesn't care if you put a dime down on the car. Even if you finance the whole damn thing, they get a check from the bank or financing company for the full purchase price. They get their cash up front, any way you cut it. Not many dealers finance in-house, even when they insinuate in their ads that they do. They farm it all out. Even Ford Credit is a separate financing arm that cuts the dealership a check for the entire purchase price. So, IN SHORT, it's all the same to the dealer, they don't care how large your down-payment is, because they'll get paid the balance in full by the financing institution.

Well, the dealership will not get a check for the full purchase price from the back, nor will they get paid the balance in full, if the buyer's credit application gets turned down. I think, here, that is the difference.

Someone with cash in their pocket just eliminates that one risk to the deal.

I don't know just how many people order or buy a car, but have the deal fall through at the last minute because their credit report isn't all that great, though the number probably isn't zero. I mean, someone could have good credit when they order a car, but two months later when the car comes in, be unemployed or even bankrupt. I sure that it doesn't happen often, but it still could happen (especially with today's layoff-based economy).

I don't think they bat an eye at that remote risk. If you order a car, you place a deposit. If you can't follow through with the purchase when it comes in, the dealer keeps the deposit (unless they're awfully nice about your position). But for the most part, I've never ever seen a different attitude from a dealer when I've written a check for the entire car (which I've done), or when I've financed the whole damned thing (which I've also done, why pay cash when 0% financing is available?). In all cases that I've purchased, the negotiating is done, the deal is in writing and in the bag before they even RUN my credit history. Hey, if you've got bad credit, they'll shop around until they find a pawn shop that'll finance you! LOL!

I don't have to worry about credit, if i wanted I could finance the whole damn thing but I figured i go ahead and throw some money at it to lower the payments. My credit is impecable and through my bank I expect to get 4% if not lower.

alan64 said:
matt that car is a loser from the get go.
:rolleyes: Bias from the get go!
alan64 said:
it will not have any collector factor to it,,,
....and you know this, how? anyway who cares, I was pointing out the fact that the ws6 is limited to about 4,000 so everybody on every street in America wont have one.
alan64 said:
poor workmanship,
In what way? and don't be a girly man and say sqeaks :rolleyes:
alan64 said:
squirly looks to say the least
bias
alan64 said:
and just not worth anything,, thats why it was discontinued,,,
:rolleyes: I guess the lightning is a pos too.
alan64 said:
the mustang is a totally different story,,, for many who remember how cool the ones in the sixties were, and how much fun,, this new car is a throwback that is actually done well, unlike the attempt on the new thunderbird.... there are going to be tons of cool things guys will be able to add to this car, and tons of customizing . so the car will be very individual,, even though they will sell tons,,, back in the sixties they sold so many,, but they kept coming out will fantastic variations of it,,, gt350, gt500,, shelby etc...
Are you a car salesman?
alan64 said:
the firebird is just junk,,,,
:rolleyes: