Factory stereo amp location

Discussion in '1994 - 1995 Specific Tech' started by mojowrkn, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Can anyone tell me where the factory stereo amp is located. I do not have the MACH 460 system, just the so called premium system: am/fm/cassette with seperate cd player. I am replacing the head unit and want to bypass the factory amp.

2. I did not do my stereo installation, but I did ask the people who did it what all was involved. They told me that it was a PITA because the stock amp is located behind the reciever in the dash. BTW, I also have the "premium" system, not Mach 460.
  3. The amp is in the same location as the Mach 460: below the stereo and the cd player (or storage box if you don't have a factory cd player). Remove the CD player/storage box, and you'll see a silver metal box with fins on the sides. That's the amp.
  4. As always, you guys rock! What we would do with those who have "been there, done that"?
  5. That's interesting. I have the Mach 460 and have 2 amps in the trunk on the underside of the rear speakers.
  6. You also have the Mach 460-specific main amp in the same location. That amp runs the 4 tweeters, and has a pre-out that runs to the rear speaker tray amps. Those amps run the larger speakers; the left runs the two on the left, the right runs the two right speakers.

I've got one Mustang with a factory-installed Mach 460, and installed a Mach 460 into a GT with Premium sound. Trust me, the amp is there. :)
  7. i just got rid of all that cheezy ford crap, it weighs a ton and takes up 2 much room. the big black box in the decklid in the trunk weighs like 25 lbs.