Factory stereo amp location

Can anyone tell me where the factory stereo amp is located. I do not have the MACH 460 system, just the so called premium system: am/fm/cassette with seperate cd player. I am replacing the head unit and want to bypass the factory amp.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

mojowrkn said:
Can anyone tell me where the factory stereo amp is located. I do not have the MACH 460 system, just the so called premium system: am/fm/cassette with seperate cd player. I am replacing the head unit and want to bypass the factory amp.

Thanks
The amp is in the same location as the Mach 460: below the stereo and the cd player (or storage box if you don't have a factory cd player). Remove the CD player/storage box, and you'll see a silver metal box with fins on the sides. That's the amp.

Chythar said:
The amp is in the same location as the Mach 460: below the stereo and the cd player (or storage box if you don't have a factory cd player). Remove the CD player/storage box, and you'll see a silver metal box with fins on the sides. That's the amp.

That's interesting. I have the Mach 460 and have 2 amps in the trunk on the underside of the rear speakers.

Methodical said:
That's interesting. I have the Mach 460 and have 2 amps in the trunk on the underside of the rear speakers.
You also have the Mach 460-specific main amp in the same location. That amp runs the 4 tweeters, and has a pre-out that runs to the rear speaker tray amps. Those amps run the larger speakers; the left runs the two on the left, the right runs the two right speakers.

I've got one Mustang with a factory-installed Mach 460, and installed a Mach 460 into a GT with Premium sound. Trust me, the amp is there. :)