Failed Va Emissions...

I live in SO Cali and here is what I do to pass. In CA the Mustang fits a Gross Polluter profile and for 3 years I had to smog my car. I did the tune up stuff and oil change. Reduced timing to 6 degrees + or - 2 degrees. Run the tank to well below 1/8 tank and buy a case of 91 percent or higher rubbing alcohol. I pour that in to the tank and then head over to a local smog shop. Leave it running while waiting and it passes each time with flying colors. Even the smog guy says that it is running very clean. I am not sure but i think E85 woudl do the same if it was mostly in the tank when testing.

Good luck. BTW my SD 86 failed due to high HCs. The tech told me that its a misfire either due to ignition or burning oil.

Good luck
Allen

• Sponsors (?)

where in northern VA?? i live on the line of Loudoun and fairfax on rt 50. i may have a pipe to get you through... pm me also VA has a wonderfull solution involving a trip to the DMV regarding emissions... again PM me

andif your close i need someone to go burn rubber with.

Stangjunkie: Sent You A PM! Thanks for the info.

ASCPONY said:
I have the stock h-pipe in the garage, and I swapped the X in after the test. I'll swap it before the test next year and probably do another bottle of GTP just in case.

I'm curious about stangjunkie's dmv option...

ACS, Where are you picking up GTP locally? Whats your sn on NVMC. Ever go to the meetings?

2002BLGT said:
So I am assuming this is a great law in your County , not a VA law because this is a commonwealth state the different countys can more or less make their own laws at will without consulting anybody else

Your are right about all the commonwealth stuff. you should see all of the new fees in the area if you are cought reckless driving, or cought not using ur turn signals correctly. Thousands of dollars in fees, plus if you have any points on ur driving record they charge you an additional $175 per point. going to court to appeal against a jodge wont be able to bring the penalties down either. keeps getting better and better each year.

93 LX said:
93 LX
I live in SO Cali and here is what I do to pass. In CA the Mustang fits a Gross Polluter profile and for 3 years I had to smog my car. I did the tune up stuff and oil change. Reduced timing to 6 degrees + or - 2 degrees. Run the tank to well below 1/8 tank and buy a case of 91 percent or higher rubbing alcohol. I pour that in to the tank and then head over to a local smog shop. Leave it running while waiting and it passes each time with flying colors. Even the smog guy says that it is running very clean. I am not sure but i think E85 woudl do the same if it was mostly in the tank when testing.

Good luck. BTW my SD 86 failed due to high HCs. The tech told me that its a misfire either due to ignition or burning oil.

Good luck
Allen
thanks for the info.. if my car fails with the fresh tune up, 8* timing, and stock h. im going to start inquiring about the additive to fuels. thanks again.

Take out your air filter, back out the timing a bit, make sure the car is warmed up to full operating temp and run it through. We used to have Dyno test stations out here in Oregon, some of the testers had trouble running mine on it and had to call over a guy who could drive a high strung 5.0 smooth enough to get a clean reading.

Make sure its at operating temp and keep it running while you wait. gotta love those new fees! Wait until you getthe new reg fees and the NOVAfee tagged on that! Plus the extra $10 on a state inspection. I'm glad I'm exempt by age of the car but I feel your pain. Its a Dept of Env Quality rule. I believe its called a catchment area or something like that.

Same name on NVMC

ACS, Where are you picking up GTP locally? Whats your sn on NVMC. Ever go to the meetings?

Same sn on NVMC, just started going to the meetings since getting back from school, I think I'll be at the one next weekend. I picked up the GTP from Fairfax Auto Parts, right near Burke Ctr Pkway and 123/Ox. I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere, maybe WalMart, but I know FAP has it.