Fake Snakes.....opinion???

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a 97 v-6 around here that has Cobra badges on it, I stopped one day and left a note that said, " Your Mustang is a V-6. Why put Cobra badges on a six-cylinder? You should not be ashamed to drive a v-6, but putting the badges on your car is gay."
-Jason

• Sponsors (?)

lafear01 said:
performance numbers does not make it "OK" to call your GT a cobra. LOL. That has nothing to do with it! :rolleyes: performance is relative to the money your willing to part with. ITS STILL NOT A COBRA. Never will be. So dont claim it to be a cobra! I had a very quick 99GT that could take a stock cobra, but i never had the presence of mind to make it a fake-snake. A GT-R maybe, but never a cobra. LOL

another little story:
My little cousin had a 94 v6 auto. he put all the snake emblems & body parts on it a while back. he got sick of getting screwed and beat up by civics. he removed the snake stuff as soon as he could. LOL

Was your 99GT a green one? I got wasted by a green GT on the freeway a year or two ago. I think it was on I75 south around 696. It was a great run and the nice lookin gal driving got off on an exit so fast I didn't get to see much else but some kind of sticker on the back window.

simpman76 said:
I can't stand the fact that lots of people think my Cobra is fake because it has 'Mustang' on the back, not Cobra. Not everone is aware that 99's have this.

ditto. People look at me like I'm lying when they ask me about my car because it says "mustang" on the back.

ken97gt said:
I"m guessing that you've never driven a 96-98? Yes, we are slower (stock) than newer GT's and especially cobras but in no case are we the slowest GT's ever produced, and I have yet to see a family car that can lay wast to my GT, the only sedan that I have bothered to race is a BMW M3 that was faster than me and I have yet to get wasted by a ricer and of course LS1's and corvettes will beat me so what else is new, LS1's and Corvettes probably hand you your ass too. BTW I'm not the fake-snake 97gt that was initially reffered to, I have a 1997 GT that has all the factory badging and even the stock wheels. Yeah, if someone is paying for their car and they want to call their 6cyl. mustang a cobra because they put $$ into it to make it look like it then who cares and who cares if they try to race a much faster car that kills them and who cares if that person says "hey I just spanked a cobra" if they are knowledgeable they will realize that something isn't quite right.

OMFG LMAO. sorry bro, but i've obviously burned your britches. LOL. but i really didn't mean to offend. "IF IT LOOKS LIKE A BANANA ... AND IT TASTES LIKE A BANANA..."
sorry to say, but your car in stock form is pretty slow by todays standards. Even when they were being produced, ford was only putting R&D into the cobra package. A GT is nothing more than an entry level "american musclecar". What makes it nice is that it is a relatively small, simple car w/ a V8 engine and a 5 speed tranny. But its a level 1, off the shelf motor. The same motor used in many many ford cars & trucks. No offence intended. And yes, i've driven many of them too...
As for the family cars able to handle or run w/ a 96-98 GT? lets see, what comes to mind...

Grand Prix gtp
chrysler 300M
various acruas
new impala SS (now supercharged)
bimmers (and you dont need an m-class to do it)
olds auora (the 250hp v8 one)
various lexi
supercharged riveria........... to name a few that would give you a good run. I'm sure there are a few more...

I say this not to hurt you, but to educate you. Its a fact!. Now, with all those seemingly mean things said, i hope you modify the **** out of your stang so you can handle those mazda mp'3's, WRX's, etc, etc...

PS: no stock bowtie will hand me my ass (except the z06), but if modified, all bets are off (as it should be... lol)

And as for your "competition" being knowledgable about your ride... dont count on it...

well being that all the new v6 have the 99-01 Cobra hood i could care less about the parts just not the badges

It really pisses me off when i get accused of having a fake snake. and it's mostly because of people miss badging and passing it off to people who don't any better.

95Cbra5O said:
Personally I feel very fortunate to have a real Cobra, but does it bug any of you guys when people try to pass their mustangs off as cobras?

A friend of mine has a 97 gt and over the summer he put on a rr hood, cobra front bumper and cobra rear bumper. He also put cobra badges on it..... :nonono:

What do you guys think?

To each his own. :shrug: I have no problems with clones, be they Shelby, Saleen, or Cobra. The only time I would not like it is if the car was misrepresented as being the real deal when sold. Otherwise, if you'd rather build one than buy one, more power to you.

The clones I really like are Cobras that were never available, like '93 coupes & convertibles, or an '00 R convertible, I'd love that. Or a clone in the correct body style but a different color.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

gotven0m said:
Where did you get that filter setup from? I also just noticed your power pipe. Did you make it yourself with PVC?

The Filter is part of the Pro-M 80mm Meter...As for the PowerPipe yes I made it using PVC at Home Depot...I wasted a ton of money on my old CAI so I made this one for 25 Bucks...

The best part about looking stock is People dont know what hit em when they get smoked :nice:

I just saw a snake today on an extended cab F-150. It made me smile cause it was in the right side of the tailgate of all places. Maybe the guy has a cobra at home? :shrug: Or some poor Bast@&^ only has one snake now! When I had my GT I changed the badges to 4.6 high performace because they looked way better than the GT badges and mine was the only GT that I've seen with them. I removed the GT badge from the rear all together. One guy where I work has a V-6 stang with almost every badge you can think of on the side, I'll have to take a picture of it sometime :rlaugh: It has a MACH 1 badge, a Snake, a steeda emblem, supercharged, and the stock badging. I'm sure I left out a few, it is a contradiction on wheels, but it's his car. :nice:

I have ordered an 04 cobra and it is being sent to PHP to modded a hell of alot. The Cobra is fast bonestock but when modded there are very few cars that can beat it. My car will be well over 500HP 490RWHP. I agree also about badging a GT with Cobra emblems.....LAME :notnice:

People who put cobra emblems on there lesser cars are people who dont do stuff to them and try to pass off their car to people who dont know jack. Any person who pimps out their mustang knows that imposting is qweer and they should be pround to have a better car than stock.

OK...my.02:

I was ready to add a Cobra front bumper cover to my GT before I bought my new car. The badges I wouldn't do, I didn't want a "fake" cobra, I just like the looks of the front end.

The hoods? Who cares here, they all benefit from the Cobra or "R" looks. The rear bumper cover, and the emblems bother me if the car is not as fast or faster than a real Cobra. I don't want my car confused with a "cloned" 6 cylinder.

Shelby, Boss and Mach clones have been around for years, some of them are very cool. There's a 1970 Boss 429 COUPE clone (phantom?) near me that's sweet, but that's got a real 429!

I'd much rather other Mustang owners would spend their dough making them fast, instead of "cloning". Or just do like I did and join the SVT team!

simpman76 said:
I can't stand the fact that lots of people think my Cobra is fake because it has 'Mustang' on the back, not Cobra. Not everone is aware that 99's have this.

Yes, I hate getting asked if my 94 is a real cobra as well because of the hood and the rear bumper were the same as the v6's. Ive even had fellow cobra owners in the area ask if it was real, none of them beleive me til I pop the hood.

simpman76 said:

this reminds of a funny day this summer when i was in town talkin w/ a freind who drives a 98 camaro ls1 but he has ss hood and wing (z28 badges tho)..but this kid pulls up and says to me.. thats not a cobra that a gt he tottaly called me out and said wheres the snake in the front and why does it say mustang in the back?? we both just laughed at first so i said to him theres only one way to find out huh??

then my freind in the Z says this isnt a SS but i still whipe the floor with ya too... so he says he has stuff to do but he was gonna find us later...
needless to say he didnt come back that night

for you 1999 cobra guys, just buy the 2001 bumper cover and be done with it. But untill then, just point to the SVT emblem on the truck that says SVT Cobra and ask them what years they had that badge for.

Or you can just pop the hood and show them the snake on the intake cover or the niche line signature plate on the valve cover...

Status
Not open for further replies.