Fan shroud for 351W in a 66

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
I have a 351W in my 66, and a stock 289 style radiator. NPD offers a few radiator shrouds that will fit, one being 3.25" deep and one being about 2" deep. The 3.25" would be best, but its 75$, a lot for a shroud... the other is 30. The 2" one would seem to work fine if I could find some spacers to use when bolting it up, so that its depth is planted right on top of the fan.

In any case, I know a lot of you have 351Ws in 65-66s (and other cars), and I was wondering how you got a shroud (if you did) in there.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 351W in my '66. I used the $80 3+" plastic shroud with my 4-row radiator. I also used the stock-type shroud mounting brackets that are sold at Mustang shops. It fit pretty well since the shroud mounts are flexible and can be adjusted to center the fan.

I don't think the 2" shroud would do much good since it would not enclose the fan. Picture it this way: any air path that exists between the back of your radiator and the front of your fan will be any easier path for air to flow compared to through your radiator. You are spending your engine's horsepower to spin the fan, it better be pulling air through the radiator. The shroud I am using covers over half of the depth of my fan.....perfect.

Another cooling system note. I am using a fixed 6 blade with a thermal fan clutch. It seems to cool better at low RPM compared to the flex fan I used to have. Also, according to the magazine tests, the thermal clutch fan draws the least hp unles you go to an electric fan (and can pull alot more air than an electric).

Good luck.