Fear The Gear

wms004 said:
despite what anyone else in here says, i'd break them in to ensure no whining.. and replace the fluid/friction modifier at 500 miles

I was told they generate additional heat when they're breaking in - just drive it for a ways, then let it cool and repeat a couple times. Gives you a chance to check for leaks, also. Definitely agree with wms004 about changing the fluid and modifier. While you're in there you can get a cast cover with a drain plug and filler on the back side to make maintenance easier! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

2001 Geee T said:
Do any of you N/A guys with 4:10s have any traction problems in first on street tires? Thats what I would be worried about most.

whenever i put it to the floor in first i almost break loose, when taking off you just have to train yourself to not give it too much. anyone should be able to do this,it just takes getting used to the car!

4.10's are the perfect gear. If you are staying NA, you might want to consider 4.30's. I made the mistake of going with 3.73's because I am considering adding an SC. I can tell you that 3.73's made little difference.
4.10's will put you in your power band. Moreover, many people report a reduction in fuel consumption while driving around town because you go into 5th gear much quicker.
It is your choice, but if you go 3.73 just remember I told you so when you are disappointed!! Good luck!

edit: sorry late post... didn't read the last few posts. Congrats on the 4.10's. You just saved yourself hundreds because you won't have to upgrade to 4.10's like me due to the disappointing 3.73's!

I got stuck at work and was not able to pick the car up yet :(

I will pick it up tomorrow at lunch cause they close early, dang I wanted to drive it today and check out the 4:10s.

If you see my other posts I will need to recalibrate my speedo, looks like I need to read up on that.

How does the speedcal thing work? :shrug:

85MustGT said:
I got stuck at work and was not able to pick the car up yet :(

I will pick it up tomorrow at lunch cause they close early, dang I wanted to drive it today and check out the 4:10s.

If you see my other posts I will need to recalibrate my speedo, looks like I need to read up on that.

How does the speedcal thing work? :shrug:

It intercepts the signal from the transmission and corrects it for the gears. Basically, it sits near the shifter under the console - you set the dip switches, make a couple wiring adjustments to the VSS (pretty simple), tap into the 12V cigarette lighter adapter and you're ready to go.