Felpro 1011-2 Head Gaskets?

Fiend

Jul 29, 2002
SLC UT
Well I am finally putting together my engine and noticed that on the Felpro 1011-2 head gaskets that their are small round holes for the water passages for between the head and the block. Do I need to cut the pattern of the water passages in gasket before i put them on?

• Sponsors (?)

You do not need to cut anything on the head gaskets! I have the flepro 1011-1 and 1011-2 head gaskets and never cut them. Make sure you put them on with front facing up and facing towards the front. My temp runs at 180* all the time with no fluctuation.

Fiend said:
Well I am finally putting together my engine and noticed that on the Felpro 1011-2 head gaskets that their are small round holes for the water passages for between the head and the block. Do I need to cut the pattern of the water passages in gasket before i put them on?

I have used these with several combinations, 78 heads on a 68 block, 78 and 79 heads on a 79 block, 94 heads on 68 and 79 blocks, etc, etc, with no problems.

Just install them in the proper orientation, ie, the "front" lettering at the front.

When your extra careful you get paranoid! I did the same when I installed my heads with these gaskets. I made sure everything was extra clean and perfect. After install, I was paranoid if I put the gaskets on right :bang: but I knew I did. You'll be fine, let us know how you make out! :nice:

My machinist turned me off from those gaskets, said they are almost too hard to work well. I'm running an honest 9.7-1 with 5psi of boost and Felpro recommended the 1021 Boss 302 gasket or a wirelock setup for that much pressure. The 1021 isn't scallopped like the 1011's on the exhaust side of the head and should hold better, plus the fire ring is stronger and they allow for oversized valves. They were about $70 a piece.

Oh yeah, felpro started putting tabs on the front of the gaskets that stick out from the head so you can tell if they are on right even with the motor in the car and running.

Jamie