Fiberglass hoods require so much prep

Heres the underside of my ebay fiberglass hood. Its a single cowl and will hopefully be finished here in the next couple weeks. I skim coated the entire topside with glaze and blocked it using my longboard with 80 grit. Then applied more glaze and blocked that finishing with 150. Then primed that. Blocked the primer after guidecoating with 180 and reprimed the bad spots. Gonna block it again and then primer it again and wetsand it with 400 grit and hopefully just paint right overtop of that. But if not I'll seal it and then paint it.

The underside I filled in these stupid "slits" they put in the hood to make it look functional or something? And had to build up the front of it because of how poorly it was made.

Check it out

S3010015.jpg

S3010019.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks dude. I'll flip the hood over and get some pics of it as it is today. I'm gonna start blockin the primer with 320. I'm gonna check it over for pin holes and fill those in and atleast reprime today. Depending on how fast the primer dries I just might wet sand and paint it today.

Ya cuz you know the carburetor and round air cleaner are near the cowl ready to suck in air through the new hood. Its not like my K&N intake that pulls from behind the passenger side headlight.

Plus I would've left them if they werent just "dents" made to look like scoops.

I sure hope I didnt screw up the functionality of this hood lol

Ya cuz you know the carburetor and round air cleaner are near the cowl ready to suck in air through the new hood. Its not like my K&N intake that pulls from behind the passenger side headlight.

Plus I would've left them if they werent just "dents" made to look like scoops.

I sure hope I didnt screw up the functionality of this hood lol

its not just the intake part. there is a low pressure area between the rear of the cowl and windshield that helps pull out the heat. it wont make much of a difference though, if you had something like turbos/blowers under there then youd want to pull out as much heat out of the engine bay as possible.