Finally tuned my car...myself :)

Red35th

Apr 18, 2003
Houston, TX
I just got a base model TwEECer for $300 and got my first tune burned.

It made a HUGE difference. I bumped the timing and adjusted the a/f to 13.1 (up from 12.1, thanks LM-1 wideband). Also I put my wot shiftpoints at 6000, the car pulls hard.

I also played with part throttle shift points. I basically moved all of them up by 5mph until half throttle. Now I don't shift out of first until 15mph, not this 9mph crap in the middle of turns. Also OD wont engage until 50mph.

I can't wait until I get my nitrous tune up and run a 100 (or more) shot :banana:

So for over half the price of the SCT pckg and less than all of the hand held tuners on the market I have full control over my EEC.

I'm stoked :D

• Sponsors (?)

Red35th said:

It made a HUGE difference. I bumped the timing and adjusted the a/f to 13.1 (up from 12.1, thanks LM-1 wideband). Also I put my wot shiftpoints at 6000, the car pulls hard.

I also played with part throttle shift points. I basically moved all of them up by 5mph until half throttle. Now I don't shift out of first until 15mph, not this 9mph crap in the middle of turns. Also OD wont engage until 50mph.

I can't wait until I get my nitrous tune up and run a 100 (or more) shot :banana:

So for over half the price of the SCT pckg and less than all of the hand held tuners on the market I have full control over my EEC.

I'm stoked :D

Good start! you also may want to lower your fan on/off temps.
I opted for the Tweecer Rt with datalogging for $500 but then saved a little by buying a PLX wideband w/o datalogging since I can log it through the tweecer. I think it's cool stuff, but I am a little bit of a technogeek.

I bought the Tweecer from a guy off ebay. You can get used base models for $300, and sometimes cheaper if you wait.

With the stock tune my car was at 12.1 to 12.3, which is perfect for my pending nitrous tune.

The thing I like about the Tweecer is that my a/f curve only got bumped at wot, same with timing. None of this global stuff. So it truely drives like stock until you hammer it.

Pulling to 6000 is sooo much fun. Also I am having a bit of a problem controlling wheel spin off the line. My guess is that I picked up close to 15hp in the entire curve, the track will tell on Friday.

Just got done playing with the tip-in-retard, car is alot more fun to drive now.

I also just got done modifying the valve-body pressure. The 2-3 shift is now just as hard as the 1-2. It just roasts to tires going into 3rd now. This can't be good for my tranny, oh well.

Tuning your own car from a lap top at a red light is too cool for words :)

Red35th said:

Hmmm, OK -- you've piqued my curiosity as I'm in the market for this kind of device right now. I went to their website, not very informative. Will this product work on a 2k3 5-speed? Also, it would appear that you are using some kind of air / fuel meter to monitor your A/F ratio. Can you elaborate? Pretend I'm a rookie here and give me the scoop.

damacman said:
Hmmm, OK -- you've piqued my curiosity as I'm in the market for this kind of device right now. I went to their website, not very informative. Will this product work on a 2k3 5-speed? Also, it would appear that you are using some kind of air / fuel meter to monitor your A/F ratio. Can you elaborate? Pretend I'm a rookie here and give me the scoop.

Yeah, what are you using to read your A/F?

Thanks jstreet, my cpu was down so I couldn't answer until now.

Tuning your own car on a "real" dyno is too much fun. Those mail-order tune guys...I feel sorry for them. If my car is too rich, I fix it that day. Not wait for some shop to do the same thing I can do in 2 minutes.

But it does take more time/work to get it right.

You can go to tweecer.com and go to the downloads section. Download the Borland file, then the 1.3Cal-edit file. You can play with the software there.

The LM-1 is awesome - I am so jealous...must...get...LM-1!!! (I posted a thread out here a month or so ago asking for people's experience with it, but, as I recall, I got no replies - Obviously, you are loving it)
I really believe in the SCT products, but you've got my curiousity going here...

The Tweecer and predator both serve different functions.

The Predator is an easy to use device that is rather limited in what it can do. You can however get your car tuned and burn the tune to a predator, but your options to modify the tune are lacking.

The Tweecer can be a little overwhelming at first. It gives you access to your cars entire computer. You can change every function and scalar imaginable. You also have the ablility to store 4 tunes on the Tweecer plus an off mode. The Tweecer is great for the guy who wants full control over their computer, but is on a budget. You can get a base model Tweecer for less than the price of a predator.

I got the Tweecer because I needed a way to have an n/a tune and a few different nitrous tunes as well. I also wanted to be able to play with my wot shiftpoints as well as part throttle shift points. The latter of the two you can't do to my knowledge with any of the handheld tuners by yourself.

With great power comes great responsibility. The tweecer is more difficult to use than the predator, but for most applications not by much. It also gives you more control over your eec though.

You have to ask yourself what you need and what your budget is. If you are a DIY kind of guy, the tweecer is for you. If you don't really want the hassle of tuning your own car, then it's not.

Also, there are tuners that support the tweecer and shops that tune with it. I only know of the texas tweecer tuners (HP, DM). So if you want a professional tune and the ability to modify it like the predator the tweecer can do that.

Before purchasing either one I highly recommend going to tweecer.com and downloading the software. What you will need to tune with will prob. be fairly easy. Just give it a shot.

Yes. The Tweecer can do ANYTHING. Basically it puts your entire computer in your lap and you can change everything the cpu does. It can turn off your rear 02s, correct for speedo, change the maf curve, change the fuel curves, modify the tranny shift points, rev limiter, turn PATS off (noone can steal my car, my 4th tune is a tune that wont start), timing, fan on/off.

It holds 4 tunes and has an off position. You can do anything that you want to :)