First look at an FRPP M55 catback for 99-04 Cobras.

bunny_power

Aug 13, 2003
Edmonton
My FRPP M55 3" catback just came in. I got the M55 for three reasons:

1. Nobody runs it and I wanted something different.
2. Its listed as "will produce significant noise and may be objectionable in some applications." :D
3. It was the least expensive 3" SS system available.

Up until now most people have said that this thing is chambered.... nope. Looking into the muffler there is about a 1/4" gap and then a solid tube to the other end of the muffler where there is another 1/4" gap. There are no perforations at all in the tube going through the muffler, its basically just like having straight pipes.

The tubing is all mandrel bent and the tips look nice too. This should be a pretty nice system once its installed, and if the sound sucks for the difference in price between it and a magnaflow or borla system I can buy packs or stingers and have them welded in and still come out ahead. :nice:

m-5230-m55L.jpg

I'll post more once its installed tomorrow.

• Sponsors (?)

COBRA90GT said:
Heh, if you have an off-road midpipe, prepare for things to get really loud. :D

You ain't kidding. I have 2.5" Mangnaflow catback with offroad x-pipe..my friend, who lives in his parent's basement, heard me coming into his driveway from his basement.

I love the sound, although the wife doesn't, but then again, I didn't buy the car for her.

COBRA90GT said:
Heh, if you have an off-road midpipe, prepare for things to get really loud. :D

That decision gets made when I hear how loud this thing really is. The stock system is sooooo quiet and I'm used to setting off car alarms with my exhaust, so it probably will be an O/R X. :D

I'd been waiting on ordering a midpipe until I saw what the muffler set up was like, since its straight through, i'm definetly going X. :banana:

Alex Swinney said:
You ain't kidding. I have 2.5" Mangnaflow catback with offroad x-pipe..my friend, who lives in his parent's basement, heard me coming into his driveway from his basement.

I love the sound, although the wife doesn't, but then again, I didn't buy the car for her.

LOL, you could hear my old GT coming from a couple of blocks away, and that was with a magnaflow catted X and magnapacks. The trouble was you get used to it and then it just doesn't feel as loud anymore. :(

I've got the same setup and I love it. It sounds great. But they are not joking when they say how loud it will get when you change the midpipe. It becomes too loud to the point of obnoxious.(Hard to believe huh :D , but true.)

DoubleONegative said:
I just got the FR500 with a ProChamber i can't wait to get it installed myself

I didn't know about the m55 before i bought my Fr500. How much was it????

i got my FR500 for 608 shipped

M55 is like $325 US I think, with taxes and shipping it came to around $500 CDN.

glockglock said:
I've got the same setup and I love it. It sounds great. But they are not joking when they say how loud it will get when you change the midpipe. It becomes too loud to the point of obnoxious.(Hard to believe huh :D , but true.)

:jaw: LOL, my brain won't accept the concept of "too loud" yet. :p

What midpipe did you try with it or are you just running the stock H?

I'm considering a bassani O/R X, but if its that loud I might have to go with cats. :(

I still have the stock H, but the guy who put mine on (Pete Espuet of Espuet Performance) has headers and an aftermarket X on his and to say it is FREAKING LOUD is an understatement. He's actually going to change catbacks from what I hear, but I know that the way mine is now sounds great. If you are like me after you get it on you will drive around town revving the engine at anything that moves. :nice:

Ahhh, got it put in last night..... very nice. Took it for a 5 hour drive today and am happy to report no drone at cruising speeds, and at idle its pretty quiet, but once you put your foot down it gets real loud real fast.

Definitely not what I'd call "too loud" yet, and with the stock H it sounds almost like there is water in the mufflers at idle, kind of a wet lub-lub-lub, so an X would help clean it up just that little bit it needs. While the tips are only 3" slash cut and don't give it that visual oomph like a 4" tip, I'd definitely recommend this system!