First time Cobra shopper needs help please.

Chefskeez6

Mar 27, 2004
Last fall i totaled my 92 vette :( and its finally getting nice around here so i need something to replace it. I have been looking around it a bunch of different cars, everything from WRX, vettes, mustangs etc. I have pretty much decided that i would like to buy a cobra. I personally like the looks of the 94-98. Please bear with me i have always been a GM guy, if i have researched correctly the 94-95 have the 5.0 and 96-98 have a DOHC 4.6 i think? I don't want to start a raging 5.0 vs 4.6 (i know what its like l98 vs lt1 vs lt5 vs ls1 vs ls6) war as i am sure that both have pros and cons. Basically i am asking is out of those years should i stay away from any of them,I have always been of the buy the newest you can afford. I would like to perform little mods limiting myself to basic bolt-ons. Oh and i would prefer a solid rear axle, someone told me the cobras are IRS? Thank you for reading all of this and giving you opinions, i apologize if i have brought something up that has been beaten to death or if this is posted in the wrong area i am new here.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, 94/95 cobra = 5.0

96-98 cobra = solid axle & DOHC 4.6L

99+ cobra = IRS & DOHC 4.6L.
As you are probably already aware, IRS isn't exactly "track friendly" if 1/4 mile racing is your thing.

You might want to check out the "svt archive" section over at SVT's official website for some comparative info: www.svt.ford.com Simply click on "view specs" once you access the archive area on the website & you'll get to view more stats :cheers:

General rule of thumb is that a 5.0 can be made fast on the cheap, but there is a good amount of aftermarket parts available for the 4.6L as well (certainly not to the extent that the 5.0 crowd enjoys, but the basic bolt-ons are there: gears, underdrive pullies, timing adjuster, exhaust, shifter, etc, etc)