First time ever at the track today, come laugh at my expense.

vsicks94stang

Founding Member
Oct 23, 2001
Graham, Ky
Well, today my car club rented beech bend raceway, in bowling green,ky, it was also my first track experience ever. First let me tell you about the car. It is a mostly stock 94 Gt that I traded my old 87 lx coupe for. The only mods done are an x-pipe with flowmasters and dumps and 4.10 gears. Coming in I made my first pass without cooling down. My R/T was a .497 60 was 2.470 and ended up with a 16.504 in the 1/4. Start laughing now. I made about 10 passes all day with my best run being a 15.942 with a reaction time of .129 and a 60 ft of 2.329. Tires are 225/ 55/16 street tires. I know my 60 ft is really killing me. I couldnt hook at all on launch, but it seemed I got better 60's footbraking and hammering on it, then trying to pedal it out. The car is an automatic by the way. It also found out that the x- pipe that is on was some offbrand that was beat in to clear the oil pan, but i dont know how much that would have held me back.. Anyways, id like to know what you all think, How bad of a driver am I?

• Sponsors (?)

The first trip to the track is a disappointment for EVERYONE.

When you actually comprehend the time difference of 1.00 second and ALL the factors that come into play, it actually seems down right crazy that we even race at all.

I mean when you actually think that some of us drop 3-6K so our cars can go 1 or 2 seconds faster, it sounds weird, thats all.

Oh yea, what was your MPH?

mph on the 16.5 was a 83.76... On the 15.9 it was a 86.49. Yeah I have a engine combination ready to go that I think should be 12 second capable, when i can find a bellhousing anyway, but this was really a dissapointment. I expected mid 15's, not low 16's. It is a coupe

vsicks94stang said:
mph on the 16.5 was a 83.76... On the 15.9 it was a 86.49. Yeah I have a engine combination ready to go that I think should be 12 second capable, when i can find a bellhousing anyway, but this was really a dissapointment. I expected mid 15's, not low 16's. It is a coupe

sounds like something is wrong. I would think you would hit atleast 90mph. When I had an h-pipe, flowmasters, 3k stall, and stock 3.27s mine would go 15.0-15.3 @ 93-95.

I hope something is wrong, I really thought it should have run a 15 something. It was plain embarrasing, I lost to a rx8 in the 1/8th mile by about half a second. Killed him out of the hole. my best reaction time of the day .106 . after the 60 he kept pullin and passed me

Mustangless said:
sounds like something is wrong. I would think you would hit atleast 90mph. When I had an h-pipe, flowmasters, 3k stall, and stock 3.27s mine would go 15.0-15.3 @ 93-95.

A stall on an auto trans really helps the q/m time. I don't think he is that far off.

I ran 16.5 my first time, and eventually got better and better at driving, and managed a 15.6. No changes in the car. I knocked off an entire second just learning how to launch and shift better. And my car was pinging like crazy at that time!!!

But that's nothing. I know I could have done even better if I practiced more. An aftermarket shifter would have helped tremendously as well. I missed so many gears, and I shifted so slowly, even on the 15.6 pass.

But, just for kicks, do a cylinder balance test to ensure all cylinders are firing ok, then clean your MAF/IAT and check fuel pressure. Check the timing as well, and if it's not pinging at 10* bump it to 12 and see if it will handle it. If it will, go to 14*. Don't go much higher than 14*.
Scott